The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

planting lilacs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: planting inbetween flag stone path| Next thread: planting orchids »
Back to Thread index
by nitingale on June 09, 2004 05:27 PM
Hi All! One of your novices again--my daughter planted a lilac in a milk carton at 6th grade camp for me for Mother's day (such a dear she is!) Anyway I finally convinced her that we probably want to plant it outdoors where it belongs as it is not doing well in the house(partly cuz she forgets to water i think:)!) but don't know where to start--I have attempted to look for info on site this morning but search engine is not working at the moment. Help Please???
Thanks everyone!!
by alankhart on June 10, 2004 12:29 AM
The most important thing to know is that lilacs need full sun to bloom (at least 6 hours a day)...too little sun will result in little or no blooms. It may take several years for your lilac to reach blooming age as well.

-
 -
 -
by Deb M on June 15, 2004 04:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by alankhart:
The most important thing to know is that lilacs need full sun to bloom (at least 6 hours a day)...too little sun will result in little or no blooms. It may take several years for your lilac to reach blooming age as well.

Deb
by Deb M on June 15, 2004 04:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deb M:
quote:

Deb
by Deb M on June 15, 2004 05:02 AM
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is my first post - I don't seem to be getting it quite right! Anyway, I have a mature lilac bush - about six feet tall and nicely shaped-but was here when we moved here. It hasn't bloomed for two years, probably because it sits between two large oak trees-maybe six feet from each. It gets plenty of sun in the winter months, but not in late spring or summer when the oaks leaf out. The foliage is beautiful! I did prune a little last year-mostly shaping but nothing serious. Is there anything I can do short of cutting down both trees to help it bloom? I love lilacs!

Deb

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: planting inbetween flag stone path| Next thread: planting orchids »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: