The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When to add used coffee grounds?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: When squirrels lose their nuts| Next thread: When to harvest Herbs »
Back to Thread index
by daylily77 on August 05, 2006 02:19 AM
Is it ok to add the used coffee grounds to my garden bed at any time? Or do I have to wait for a certain time or anything? I went to Starbucks this morning and picked some up! Thank you!
by johnCT on August 05, 2006 03:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by daylily77:
Is it ok to add the used coffee grounds to my garden bed at any time?
Absolutely! Never a bad time to add organic matter to your soil!

John - Zone 6
by daylily77 on August 05, 2006 01:26 PM
Thanks! I hope the worms go crazy with it! [Wink]
by patches1414 on August 05, 2006 08:20 PM
quote:
I went to Starbucks this morning and picked some up!
Daylily, I add them to my garden all the time and the Red Wigglers in my worm bin love them! [Love] [Love] [Love]

I think it's so neat that they do this instead of just throwing them away! [thumb] Isn't Starbucks wonderful! [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by daylily77 on August 06, 2006 08:55 PM
Definitely!

I have one more question if anyone knows.. is it possible to add TOO MANY coffee grounds to a garden? How often should I add them? Thanks again!
by patches1414 on August 07, 2006 11:25 AM
I sprinkle coffee grounds over my beds on a regular basis and I've never had any problems with it, but I like to do it before it rains or I'm watering. I also use them (as well as egg shells) around my hostas to help control the slugs that like to feast on my hostas. [Eek!]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on August 11, 2006 05:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by daylily77:
I have one more question if anyone knows.. is it possible to add TOO MANY coffee grounds to a garden? How often should I add them? Thanks again!
quote:
Starbucks
I ONLY WISHHHHHHH I HAD A STARBUCKS NEAR ME... [Eek!]

But, I would add, not to keep adding it to the same spot, over and over again..... and depending on the size of your garden...

Some gardeners may have a small garden and mayyyyyyybe couldn't handle the "quota of an everyday feed from Starbucks".... but a larggge garden, spread out, surrrrrrre could [thumb] ....

Hope you keep us posted on your coffee grounds,
we love to [gabby] hear updates [critic] and how things turn out, [angel] good or [devil] bad, that's how we all learn [teacher] ...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ND farm girl on August 11, 2006 06:45 AM
Starbucks? Did you just ask for used coffee grounds or something?

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 11, 2006 08:32 AM
quote:
Some gardeners may have a small garden and mayyyyyyybe couldn't handle the "quota of an everyday feed from Starbucks"....
I agree, Weezie! [thumb] I don't think an "everyday feed" would be advisable and I never dump them on in any large amount. [Frown] I add my coffee grounds about twice week and sometimes more, but I only sprinkle them on, pretty much the same as you would do when salting your food. [Wink] I never cover the ground with them. [Frown]

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 13, 2006 06:03 AM
I didn't know you could add coffee grounds to your garden? I throw mine away every morning. I have mulch down in my beds, is it okay to just sprinkle on top of the mulch?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by patches1414 on August 13, 2006 02:18 PM
Monica, when I've used the coffee grounds on my mulched beds, and I just try to sprinkle them around as evenly as I can. On my unmulched beds I try to work them into the soil a little bit, except in my shade garden where I have a lot of Hostas. I like to leave them on the surface to help keep the slugs away from my Hostas!

-
 -
by daylily77 on August 13, 2006 02:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ND farm girl:
Starbucks? Did you just ask for used coffee grounds or something?
Yes, Starbucks saves them in a bag specifically for gardeners! It's really cool! They even seal them shut with this sticker that says "Free Used Grounds For Your Garden". It's cute!

quote:
I have mulch down in my beds, is it okay to just sprinkle on top of the mulch?
I'm sure that would be fine! The rain will eventually wash them down into the soil. [flower]
by thundercat on August 14, 2006 11:26 AM
thats so cool! worms love coffee grounds?????
can i add they in the fall.
one more thing.
has anyone ever added worms to their garden(s)

Thanks,
Jammie and Gizmo
remember its not how the world views you, but how you view the world.
by patches1414 on August 14, 2006 11:33 AM
Oh yes, worms love [Love] coffee grounds and they devour them! I put them in my worm bin all the time! [Wink] Actually, I've never found a need to add worms to my garden beds, it's seems I always have plenty of them! [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
by Huksumalic on August 23, 2006 10:44 AM
wow! here i've been throwing all my coffee grounds out, not anymore, thanks 2 u folks. i have a prob: my zuccini leaves have a mold on them that i can't seem to get rid of. i've reotted them, alas, to no avail. suggestions?
by patches1414 on August 23, 2006 12:26 PM
Hi Huksumalic! [wavey]

Welcome to the forum! [Smile] Why don't you post this question in The Fruits and Vegetables Gardening forum. I'm sure someone can answer it there. [thumb]

-
 -
by Tomacco on September 05, 2006 07:31 PM
When I first joined this forum, I read about the coffee grounds. Then totally forgot about them since I don't do brewed coffee or Starbucks often. Yesterday, on a ride, my hubster and I stopped in to Starbucks for a coffee and right there by the door was a barrel with BIG packs of used coffee grounds marked "free"!!!

I grabbed 3 bags and then realised, "I'm on my motorcycle... how am I going to do this?" A bag in each saddle bag and one under my jacket, good to go! I just weeded out half the front flower bed, turned the soil and planted 6 mums. Perfect timing! And the smell is wonderful! "Take that, slugs!" [tongue]

Starbucks is going to see a lot of me through the Fall!

Tomacco

That coffee was so strong, it swallowed the cream...
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l268/Tomacco1/
by Tomacco on September 10, 2006 09:52 PM
Wow, ever since I stumbled onto this thread a couple of weeks ago, every time I pass a Starbucks I have to stop in and get spent grounds. Americans may run on Dunkin', but gardeners are addicted to coffee grounds [Smile]

The first time I got 3 bags and distributed them on newly-planted mums. I can't tell you how quickly the worms found this stuff. Man, are they happy!

On Thursday, I stopped in for more. The crew hadn't bagged them yet so I threw this STUFFED plastic bag over my shoulder and trudged to the car. Must have weighed 30 pounds. Reading that grounds should be drier before sprinkling (no clumps, no mould), I dumped the lot on my deck table and for the next 2 days turned them.

Well, yesterday afternoon, we had sudden thunderstorms pass through. It was a race with the rain as I scooped up the ground into 2 empty kitty litter buckets with my bare hands! LOL! Within 2 minutes of stowing the buckets in the sunroom, the rains fell hard.

I do have a question about evenly distributing in a lawn. Has anyone used a seed spreader (like Scotts brand)?

Tomacco

by Tomacco on October 05, 2006 01:19 AM
No wonder no one answered my question. It was just too stupid. Coffee grounds bring the worms which bring moles. Spreading coffee grounds on the lawn is like opening up a restaurant. The only sure thing is using grounds in the mulch pile. We're still recycling [Smile]

Tomacco

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: When squirrels lose their nuts| Next thread: When to harvest Herbs »
Back to Thread index