The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Compost Oooops

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Compost not black yet.| Next thread: Compost question »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on July 11, 2006 02:26 AM
My landlord did some landscaping this weekend and dumped the results on top of my "to be sifted compost". I dug out my compost and sifted it. Now my question is...what do I do with the live weeds and crabgrass complete with soil that he has added to my compost pile.

Do I have to wait until he goes home and then dig it all out of the pile and put it in the dumpster. Or if I turn my pile frequently can I get the weeds, sod, and crabgrass to die?

Help please.

-
 -
by Longy on July 11, 2006 10:33 AM
If you're going to sift it TK, then you'll sift out the weeds too. Then, just add them to your new compost.Some of the soil will drop thru with the sifted compost, but no big deal.

-
The secret is the soil.
by tkhooper on July 11, 2006 11:23 AM
Thanks longy. He must have edged something that hadn't been edged in a long while because I have long strips of sod with weeds and crabgrass along with the regular grass. And I knew my compost pile hadn't done that over night.

When I talked to him today he was so proud of his contribution to the compost pile I couldn't disillusion him so I thought I would ask here if that stuff would be ok.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Compost not black yet.| Next thread: Compost question »
Back to Thread index