The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pinching

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Pinapple Mint Another ?| Next thread: Pinching back herbs »
Back to Thread index
by jeZifly on June 08, 2004 09:18 PM
Hi from PA- Zone 6 here...
Trying very hard to have some kind of sucessful garden. I have followed the monthly calander here to the best of my ability but am having a difficult time even understanding some verbage...

2 mishapps so far.
Mental Note-
1. Weed Killer BEFORE Mulch = Not weeding every weekend
2. Gladiolas = staking

Oh well, I am learning. Ok so my 2 basic questions...
What is Pinching?? How do you actually do it? Just pinch the plants? Which plants?
Second question- What is the deal with the rubber bands on daffodils? Do I need to do this?

Thanks for any help...
Jessie
by weezie13 on June 09, 2004 12:04 AM
Hi Jessie,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us.

I"m going to move your question into the
"Plants and Flowers" you'll get a better traveled
area of our gardeners for your question there.

We're very happy you're following the calendar here! Thanks for letting us know that!
It's wonderful to hear!!! [grin] [wayey]
Bill, put alot of work into those pages.

For me to answer one of your questions,
I personally never rubber band my tulips as they are dying back, if they are getting too brown for me, I just snip the ends with some scissors, maybe a total of 3 or 4 times depends on how long the stems were, they need that green area exposed until it turns brown to put food back into it's bulb for food and flower next year..
I never cover it!!!

And staking the glad's, sometimes they can get tall and leggie, and when the flower finally opens they get very top heavy, so a good staking when you plant them will ensure the roots grow around the stake early instead of damaging them later when they are big and you can't see the roots and poke thru them. And will help to keep them up right once they get top heavy!!!

I'm sure many other gardener's will come thru and help you alot more with all of your questions!!!

And we welcome all of your gardening questions...
Love to help!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Arctostaphylos on June 09, 2004 01:01 AM
Well my two cents worth... the rubber bands are just to keep the leaves tidy as they die back ( I personaly perfer the natural look) as to "pinching" in my experence this term is used to mean pruning a few inches of terminal growth (the term "pinch" comes from the fact the growth is young and non-woody and can be removed with a pinch) it is done commonly to get a plant to fill in, when piched back the plant will start two new stems where there was only one previously. Hope this is of some assistance. Good luck.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pinapple Mint Another ?| Next thread: Pinching back herbs »
Back to Thread index