The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

source for browns

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: sour cucumbers--help| Next thread: South Central Wisconsin »
Back to Thread index
by woodchuck on May 29, 2006 05:41 PM
Many people who have old houses will rake their leaves and bag them to put against the foundation of the house to keep the winter wind out. It is quite common in my neck of the woods, small, rural towns, I'd think these people would be happy to let someone have them, bagged, sitting for 6months, should be ready to add to compost.
by weezie13 on May 30, 2006 03:49 AM
Oh I know, I think about that too...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by woodchuck on May 30, 2006 09:40 AM
Here's another that I thought of as I was troubleshooting the upstairs A/C unit that is in the attic today -94 &humid, it must have been 110 up there- anyway, another brown source would be cellulose insulation, the stuff that gets blown into walls and attics, when someone is remodeling or updating the old stuff gets thrown away. In its fluffy form it comes out to 15 50gal trashbags from over a 16x16 room so imagine what comes out of a full attic, or walls during a gut type remodel. When we gut our place I will be bagging some of it for the compost pile for summer when there's a shortage of browns.

Now that you guys have gotten me into this compost addiction [nutz] [grin] .
by tkhooper on May 30, 2006 11:14 AM
It is an addiction isn't it. I was out there today watering my pile and bin trying to figure out when it will be ok to turn it without doing any damage to my tummy. I should be pretty close to the return to normal activities day. And I can't wait.

-
 -
by peppereater on June 01, 2006 03:29 AM
Woodchuck...I'd try to find out what aditives are in that cellulose before i put it in my compost. The use something as a fire retardent. It may be just a mineral, but I'd check it out.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sour cucumbers--help| Next thread: South Central Wisconsin »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: