The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sift or not for bed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by angelblossom on May 27, 2006 12:07 PM
I'd like to sprinkle my done but not yet sifted compost on some of my flower and veggie beds
1st question... can I just put on top of soil on flower/ veggie beds or

2nd question.... should I sift it first and work into the top layer of soil..

It's been since Feb and March now or more that I made these beds : will it help to incorporate with it with in or lay on top I don't use any chem fertilizers. will it help replenish the soil ?
the plants that were doing soo well now look a little underfeed or something just not standing as proud as they were ..,granted it getting hotter here and watering is done early early morning.. these plants should be lasting well into fall,, as well as the roses..
Thanks for any help or suggestions I have a 55 gallon trash can full of done unsifted compost to use hopefully it can help my dilemma.

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by johnCT on May 27, 2006 01:32 PM
I usually only sift mine to use it in containers. It certainly couldn't hurt though.

John - Zone 6
by Longy on May 27, 2006 06:07 PM
will it help to incorporate with it with in or lay on top I don't use any chem fertilizers. will it help replenish the soil
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Compost is best worked into the soil, as the sun and weather can knock the microbes and bacteria around, dry it all out etc. However, don't go to the point of damaging your plants' roots.
Another way is to lightly scratch the stuff into the soil around the root zone and then mulch over the top.
It's up to you if you sift it, depends i guess on how lumpy it is. You can put it in a wheelbarrow and use one of those 3 pronged hand cultivators to bust it up a bit to save the work of sifting.
55 gallons. That's a good amount of compost.

-
The secret is the soil.
by angelblossom on May 27, 2006 07:14 PM
I think I'll just put it in the wheel barrow and break it up a bit the sifting is tireing for sure. And I won't stop sifting till I get it all done,, I just can't seem to stop doing something in the middle of a task ...., I have to finish.. LOL
Thanks I will scratch it into the rootzone(s) then .. I had just applied mulch but not a problem pulling it away a bit easy to put back.
55 gallons alot?? Oh yeah especially when I have to empty it to turn it the fuller it gets Whew !!!

JohnCT I will save some for my containers tho and that will difinately be sifted.
Thanks !!
[grin]

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 28, 2006 04:40 AM
For me, and what I put in, some are big hunks,
and I wouldn't want them on the bed....
*and when they are still in the middle of the breaking down process, it steals the nitrogen..*
*and I like to use that stuff to jumpstart the next pile*
*and the sifted stuff, to me, looks alot nicer and easier to break down into the soil for the plant to utilize...*
But that is my preference...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by angelblossom on May 28, 2006 12:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
For me, and what I put in, some are big hunks,
and I wouldn't want them on the bed....
*and when they are still in the middle of the breaking down process, it steals the nitrogen..*
*and I like to use that stuff to jumpstart the next pile*
*and the sifted stuff, to me, looks alot nicer and easier to break down into the soil for the plant to utilize...*
But that is my preference...

HMMM Didn't consider that Thanks Weezie,, Because you basically got me going on composting , after sifting my first batch I did indeed use the larger pieces to start this batch now I'm speaking of.. This batch has been done for at least 5 weeks now . working 2 jobs I just haven't found the time to do anything with it,, I'm off all weekend including Monday [clappy] so nows the time if any! I DO have my Grandsons w/me so they can help with any sifting , I may just do half the batch for now. Will the second half of batch be okay just left in the container for a couple of more weeks??
I'm having company Monday for a BBQ and have to prepare for that as well.. But I wanted to do something with this batch before anything else, and get in on to some beds..
Oh I do pretty much break things down fairley small before going in and the larger chunks left over from last batch I broke down somewhat before starting this batch..
I can never stop learning about it!!
SO go head and sift what I need for the beds and incorporate it into the top spoil as previous post suggested??!!
Sorry I went on so long I just don't want to make my beds worse by not doing the right or appropriate steps to nurish the exsisting soil..

Thanks
Diane

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 28, 2006 04:47 PM
quote:
Will the second half of batch be okay just left in the container for a couple of more weeks??

Yes, I have been putting mine into those dark black heavy garbage bags...when I need the bins, and haven't the time to finish sifting, or for like in the spring time, I want to keep a bunch of bags down in my basement, so they are ready to be sifted in April..*before I was having to wait for the bins to thaw, which took forever..then dry up a bit too on top of it all* so for me, I can start sifting when it's COLD outside and sifting for me, works up a good sweat, so if done in the cold it's not so bad..
Plus I can't do much at that time, so I feel I am utilizing my time well..
Not that youuuuu have that problem.. [tongue]

(but on a side note, if left out in the open, like still in the bin, it does render down, and loose it's potency after awhile..)

quote:
Sorry I went on so long
Never apologize for wanting to learn... and fine tune what you learned either.. that's how you learn... [thumb] [kissies] [thumb] [flower] [grin]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on May 28, 2006 05:20 PM
Thanks a lot Weezie! [kissies] [grin] [Wink]

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 28, 2006 08:45 PM
quote:
I have been putting mine into those dark black heavy garbage bags...when I need the bins
Weezie, I have three circular (hardware cloth) compost bins which are in different stages of the composting process and I want to make some new bins. I have some black construction (super-strength) trash bags, so I was wondering if I could put the unfinished compost in them and then add my grass clippings to finish the process? [dunno] If so, how do I proceed? Do I need holes in the bags, do I need to add water, do I need to turn the bags? [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on May 29, 2006 02:38 AM
I would say, not to add anything if it's
in it's final stages...
Leave that be... and just put it straight into
the garbage bags..

If you have a second one that is still in the middle to end thrawls of composting stage, and still want to put it in the garbage bags, and still add the grass clippings...
I would carefully add a good amount of the compost and a thin layer of the grass, then more compost, and another thin layer of grass.. I wouldn't clump the grass or get it toooooo thick, as because in the bag you're not turning it really ***you can't cause it's kinda hard and things can poke thru it and rip and fall apart*** and grass added to a pile still not completely done still has the ability to act like gas and reallllllly cook the pile inside the bag...*especially if the bag is thick, black and in the sun*

My experience with the garbage bags are when my bins are done, *and I haven't had a chance to get to them (to sift), or when it's not quite done, but almosttt and I need the bin for fall or spring time re~filling*

I also did a bag of pulled grass and roots one time from my garden, I have that aweful runner grass and when my husband rototilled, it would be in long sections of roots..
So, I thru it all, roots, grass and dirt in the bags, and left it there for about 2 1/2 years..

It was kinda nice stuff when I pulled it out..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: