The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Greensand

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Greenhouses| Next thread: Grey mold on Gerber Daisies »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on May 27, 2006 04:35 AM
I finally got some. Now can someone tell me how to use it to loosen up the clay? There is still so much I need to learn.

-
 -
by ranger on May 27, 2006 06:07 AM
What did you actually buy bags, bulk (truckload)?
I have been kind of looking for some for use as a natural type fertilizer. I intend to just scatter it in around plants. It is not something that will work very quick but beneficial long term.
ranger
by tkhooper on May 27, 2006 09:13 AM
I went to the natural planet website and ordered a 5 lb bag. They also have 50 lb bags but my garden is small.

I'm trying to reclaim a neglected slope of clay at the edge of my landlords property. I've managed to terrace two levels and plant a variety of plants on them. But now, I want to go higher; but, it is impossible to get the clay out to build the next shelf because the slope steepens to the point where I can't get above it and sink a shovel into the clay. So I'm having to use a hand pick and spade. Water helps some but since I'm below the clay I'm working on I get very wet doing it that way. I was hoping the greensand would help. Sounds like I made a mistake.

I guess I'll just have to keep building up rather than digging it out.

-
 -
by pagarden on June 02, 2006 02:23 AM
so my garden is 8ft x 16ft. i was adding some peat moss each year to loosen up the soil, but was told recently this was not a good idea. [Frown] SOOO..... can i add a little greensand each year to help it loosen up? how much would i add for the size garden i have? and does it add any nutrients or use up any or does it just simply loosen up dirt???
by tkhooper on June 02, 2006 06:51 AM
Here is a link to Obywans post about green sand.
Greensand

-
 -
by JV on June 12, 2006 08:58 AM
Tammy I also use greensand as well as Lava sand for fertilizer. To loosen the clay soil you will need a bunch depending on how much area you are talking about. To plant a rose in red clay here I mixed in about 2 pounds to help get it to drain. Like I said I also use lava sand I get both at HD or a nursery. Some times Wal-Mart will have it.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Longy on June 12, 2006 07:28 PM
The thing to loosen up clay soils is gypsum and the thing to improve the clay soil is compost and organic matter. Any soil will be improved by adding compost and organic matter. More is better. It's a sight cheaper too i think than adding bulk sand.
I thought greensand was a potassium source.

-
The secret is the soil.
by patches1414 on June 13, 2006 12:06 AM
I've had a terrible time trying to establish decent garden beds with the lousy clay soil we have in this area, so I've use calcium sulfate (gypsum) to help reduce soil compaction and to help with aeration and drainage. About 4 years ago I also started using Li'L Perk to soften the clay soil and improve water penetration and I've been satisified with the results. [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Greenhouses| Next thread: Grey mold on Gerber Daisies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: