The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Stemmy Calla lilies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Stem Rot| Next thread: Stephanotis »
Back to Thread index
by Tyke on June 06, 2004 05:03 AM
I have calla lillies that I have in pots. Last Fall I took them out of the pots and placed in a box lined with black plastic but let air get to them. In about late march or ealy April I checked them and they were starting to grow-little green stems appearing. I put them in fresh potting soil and back in my pots. I kept them in the basement and watered about once a week. They are now all coming up but also have very long stems with leaves. About four to five of these long stems to each pot. I have now put them outside but still in the pots. Is there anything else I can do and can these long stems be cut to the size that the other stems? They are really not very pretty and I do hope I have not ruined them. Any help or suggestions anyone might have, I would greatly appreciate. Thanks
by Nako on June 06, 2004 05:29 AM
I beleive the long stems could be from a lack of sunlight. If they get a good amount of sun to partial shade, they'll probably not have as stemmy stems... if that makes any sense lol. Anywho, i heard somewhere that if you get em for the first time, and keep moving them, that they won't flower for another year or so, until they are kept put. Mine don't have any flowers either, and are just kinda shooting up stems... though there is one white spike that has me wondering. We'll have to see ^.^

But hopefully there will be someone else here with more advice. There is a page on the website about calla lilies if ya wana check it out ^.^

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Tyke on June 06, 2004 07:31 PM
Thanks, Nako, for your help. Your advise sounds right to me, and we finally have plenty of sun here in Wisconsin. Maybe that will do the trick. Best of luck with yours.

Tyke
by Nako on June 06, 2004 11:20 PM
No problem, and thank you [Smile] Good luck on yours as well! I'm pretty sure the only problem with them is that they're being moved around a lot. I'm just happy that my impatian, and my begonia decided to flower ^.^ *hops*

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by BFVISION on June 12, 2004 05:13 AM
I did the winter thing too. They got leggy all winter in the basement so I just kept trimming them back. Once planted outside I trimmed again and they appear to be thriving!! [thumb]

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Stem Rot| Next thread: Stephanotis »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: