The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Slug Bait!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: slow death of all my house plants| Next thread: Slugs »
Back to Thread index
by Bill on March 30, 2006 05:46 AM
Write it down on a post it and stick it on your monitor and DO NOT REMOVE it until you take care of this VERY IMPORTANT garden task!
In the coming weeks, hundreds of ravenous baby slugs will be hatching and would love nothing more than to dine on the succulent new growth of your plants. [shocked]
[teacher] If you get a handle on the problem early it will be a lot easier to control through the entire season!
Controlling Slugs and Snails in the Garden

SLUGS AND BEER (A Cindy Classic...)

-
by DustyDS on March 30, 2006 05:55 AM
What???

I gotta share my beer with Vermin???? [shocked] [shocked]

[muggs]
by patches1414 on March 30, 2006 06:04 AM
This is a GREAT article Bill! [thumb] Thanks a bunch! [flower] The slugs do a real number on my hostas and many of my other plants. [tears] This year I will be armed and ready for them. [Mad]

Cindy, I enjoyed reading about your adventure too! [muggs] It was SO funny! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Buglady on March 30, 2006 08:33 AM
promote your lightning bugs... their larva feeds on slugs.

unfortunately with the loss of meadow lands, you don't see lightning bugs like you used to. Also treating lawns with pesticides, kills lightning bug larva [Frown]  -

Lightning bug larva

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by peppereater on March 30, 2006 08:39 AM
Buglady...we don't have a slug problem, but I'd like to promote lightning bugs. We basically use no pesticides/herbicides, what can we do to encourage them? We have some areas we mow, some we don't.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by patches1414 on March 30, 2006 08:50 AM
I love [Love] the lightening bugs too and we have them; but the slugs are ruining too many of my plants, [tears] so I need to do something. Maybe the lightening bugs can feast on some of my neighbor's slugs. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Michael15r on March 30, 2006 01:04 PM
I'm way ahead of ya Bill, I grow sunflowers and they love the seedlings when they have the two soft leaves. The most tender leaves. I already through the snail a bait everywhere, but sadly my chickens wont be able to go in my garden for the next few months. [Frown]

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by Buglady on March 30, 2006 01:22 PM
FYI snail/slug killers aka molluscides are very hard on beneficial insects. If they are sprayed in commercial nurseries, we are looking at about a 2 month time period before beneficials can survive in the mico climate. Image what that bait does to the soil ecology but, there are so few options for control these days.

Maybe an antislug dance?

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Michael15r on March 30, 2006 01:28 PM
Interesting to note buglady, very interesting... I never knew about this. I have been doing this for about 2-3 years now. But maybe I should stop?...Hmm.. this really catches my attention greatly. I do very much understand you.

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by afgreyparrot on March 30, 2006 09:01 PM
quote:
In the coming weeks, hundreds of ravenous baby slugs will be hatching and would love nothing more than to dine on the succulent new growth of your plants.
Excuse my ignorance here, but I have a question.
Yesterday I picked up Freckles' bowl and it had several teeny slugs on it...not even an inch long. I thought they were just a small kind of slugs.
Are these the BABIES...that are going to get huge??? [shocked]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Bill on March 30, 2006 09:08 PM
Probably, but not necessarily... there are small species of slugs and there are big ones... [dunno]

-
by afgreyparrot on March 30, 2006 09:26 PM
Well, I never see the small ones on into the summer, so I think these must be babies.

I guess I'll set that big salt shaker by the front door and grab it every time I go outside. [devil] They are not getting beer or Beam this year. I will drink the beer while I walk around the yard with the salt shaker.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by dodge on April 02, 2006 08:16 AM
Hey that was funny.......I was asked that question yesterday, and I told them Beer.. Here it is on the Gardenhelper...

Thanks for the fine words..

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: slow death of all my house plants| Next thread: Slugs »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: