The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

composting advice?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Composting...| Next thread: Composting in trashbags »
Back to Thread index
by Stuspot on May 10, 2006 12:02 PM
I must begin composting. I just don't quite get how to do it. I think I need some kind of container to put it all in.

Should I build it? If yes, any ideas how?

Should I buy something?

I just don't understand what others do. I'd appreciate anything anyone has to say on this. [grin]

In a previous life, I just had this compost pile out back of the garage but for various reasons, mostly dog related, I can't do that anymore.
by SpringFever on May 10, 2006 04:06 PM
I just started the other day I made a small 3x3 bin out of 2x6's and pretty much just threw all the grass leaves , used coffee and filters , old veggies and just about everything but meat! If you read through the other compost threads you will see all sorts of things you can do!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Stuspot on May 11, 2006 07:38 AM
Thanks Springfever. I will read some more before I ask more. I figured there was already some info about composting, now I know there is. [Smile]
by SpringFever on May 11, 2006 07:48 AM
Yeah there is a lot of areas that bring great help... Just read all of them and put all the info together and there you go..

-
 -
by johnCT on May 11, 2006 08:54 AM
Needing some sort of container is a common misconception. Just make a pile right on the ground! [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by SpringFever on May 11, 2006 09:41 AM
I would but my town has very very strict rules about having anything in the yard that is not a flower..

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 12, 2006 03:57 AM
I use one of those trash cans on wheels with a sign on top that says compost only. Most people respect the sign which is very nice. Either that or they don't like the smell. I have alittle too much green in it right now lol. With the surgery and the landlord taking all the garden tools to another property I can't turn mine right now but I sure would like to. Maybe I'll ask the elders if they would be willing.

-
 -
by Stuspot on May 12, 2006 04:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
Needing some sort of container is a common misconception. Just make a pile right on the ground! [thumb]
I know it works, because I've done it before and it worked great. But I have dogs now, and dogs are, well....dogs. If I put stuff on the ground, they will be sure to roll in it, dig in it and generally make their white paws very dirty in it. So I'm thinking this time around I need some kind of container.

I can see how the large garbage can would work, but how do you mix it up? Do you roll the can on the ground or stir it with a shovel?
by SpringFever on May 12, 2006 07:36 AM
 - This is the one I just started... The garden Claw works awsome to turn it !!

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 12, 2006 08:34 AM
For me once a week I dump it on the ground and then rake it around and then dump it back into the can. I'm very slow and it takes me about one and a half hours. When it looks like it's mostly decomposted I through it through a screen and then put the part that hasn't composted in with more new material and keep the process going that way. It doesn't make a great amount but it makes enough for my small garden.

-
 -
by loz on May 12, 2006 09:13 AM
My neighbor let me borrow her Garden Claw a week or so ago and I loved it! Might have to buy me one of them! [thumb]
by SpringFever on May 12, 2006 09:22 AM
their 37$ at most stores ..

-
 -
by Stuspot on May 12, 2006 09:32 AM
Thanks for posting that picture, Springfever. I could easily make something like that. Does yours have a lid?

That Garden Claw also looks like a very useful tool.

Thanks for the advice!! [flower]
by SpringFever on May 12, 2006 10:34 AM
I am gong to put one on.. as well as add another board in the front .. I am just so short i need to be able to get in there and dig around!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Composting...| Next thread: Composting in trashbags »
Back to Thread index