The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sandburs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: sand dollar weeds| Next thread: Sandspurs »
Back to Thread index
by peppereater on April 26, 2006 05:57 AM
Has anyone had any luck controlling sandburs? Our property is infested with them. I have been working on building the soil. We have extremely sandy soil, which they thrive in...but building soil is a slow process. We try to keep them mowed, and I have planted a lot of trees to cast some shade and discourage them. Other than this, any suggestions for natural control?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by LandOfOz on May 03, 2006 02:29 AM
I have extraordinarily sandy soil and a huge problem with sand burs. My local nursery told me that there are a few things to do: in March put out a pre-emergent crabgrass preventer (must be crabgrass preventer) on the lawn, repeat this in May. Keep your grass well watered, as a healthy lawn helps to choke off some of the burrs, and lastly, if you can identify the plant as a burr pull it and throw it away!! Be sure to get the roots when you pull it! Hope this helps... I'm from South-Central KS, so the application times for the pre-emergent should be accurate for your area too.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by peppereater on May 03, 2006 03:25 AM
Thanks, LandOfOz. I used some pre-emergent on my mom's lawn, but I prefer not to use chemicals on our property. I hope to sell organic vegetables eventually, and don't want cross-contamination. Plus, much of my garden is down hill from the lawn, and runoff could be harmful. I guess I'll have to keep building the soil and promoting a good grass cover to choke them out. The area I'm talking about is over 2 acres, so it will take time.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by JV on May 09, 2006 01:48 PM
Dave this fall put some corn gluetin meal on your lawn it kills broadleafs as well as fertilizes. It is organic but best put out in fall and early spring. Depending on how much land you cover can be expensive but it does work for me.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sand dollar weeds| Next thread: Sandspurs »
Back to Thread index