The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

composting

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by davida580 on April 19, 2006 01:11 PM
i have a small pool behind my house that is full of leaves and limbs off an oak tree, the water in it is really stagnant, would it hurt to compost them? i don't see any moss or algae in it the water sure is black though, looks like it has a lot of minerals in it.
by johnCT on April 19, 2006 07:45 PM
Would not hurt to compost them, but I'm sure the chlorine in the water, if any, will slow down the rate of breakdown.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on April 20, 2006 11:57 AM
Compost away!!!
*anything left of the clorine, I would
think would disipate.. and eventually will
break down for sure...*

Composting has a way of getting rid alot of
stuff like algae and stuff....naturally...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by porter57 on April 21, 2006 05:43 AM
i would think if the water is dark and stagnant,
the chlorine is long gone.
one method we used to use with tropical fish was to allow the filled tank to sit a day or so,to rid the water of chlorine.
by joclyn on April 21, 2006 09:50 AM
chlorine dissipates within 24 hours if the water is left standing. so i doubt there's any at all in an opened-topped pool.

i'd be more concerned about the chemicals used to winterize the water.
by davida580 on April 21, 2006 11:42 AM
thanks for the help. but the pool i was talking about is not a pool, but a pond i guess i should of said pond in the first place. most people around here call a small pond a pool, sorry. but i guess the answer is still the same it's ok to use them.thanks.
by twwright on April 28, 2006 12:48 AM
davida580,

I have a "pond"! Yes, you can compost those leaves, any algae, muck, mud, filth, foul and finch you can find. Chlorine will breakdown within 24 hours as stated above and the smells from ponds usually come from ammonia breaking down into nitrites and finally nitrates. There just isn't anything I've found I couldn't somehow compost except for cigarette butts. Don't try that...

Active Garden Forum