The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

best and cheapest way to raise nitrogen,potash level without raising phosphorous

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by davida580 on April 17, 2006 11:09 AM
i just tested my soil and my pH was about 5.0-6.0 i added peat moss but my nitrogen and potash levels are very low while my phosphorous level is very high can someone please tell me how to fix this problem.
by peppereater on April 17, 2006 11:26 AM
There's nothing wrong with a high phosphorous level, it's great for blooms/fruit. Did you add peat after the test? Because that will lower the pH even further. Blood meal and cottonseed meal are good for raising N levels, while wood ash and greensand are good for potassium sources.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by davida580 on April 17, 2006 12:33 PM
this is my first year gardening so i don't know squat.yes to your first question and by wood ash you mean my smoker ashes? and i have no idea about greensand sorry i've never done this before.i also added about 30lbs. of lime on a 33'-50' garden would 13-13-13 fertilizer be ok i have watermelons,beans,corn,tomatoes,and bell peppers planted most has started to come up.
by davida580 on April 17, 2006 12:43 PM
i was told adding peat moss would bring my pH to more neutral
by Longy on April 17, 2006 01:13 PM
It takes a little time to get the soil right davida. Don't get in a panic OK;-) So you limed and planted and now you want to fertilize. The 13-13-13 has as much phosphorous (P) as it does (N) and (K), so may not be suitable if you have very high levels of (P) already.

Don't worry about the peat moss, The lime will sweeten the soil regardless and the peat moss will add organic matter to the soil. Peat is from a bog. Bogs smell sour because of the low Ph and standing moisture. It will sour the soil.

See if you can get your hands on some fish emulsion liquid fertilizer and some sulphate of potash. Also look at some kelp or seaweed extract as this will add any micronutrients to the soil like zinc and magnesium etc. Add a 1/2 capful to the fish emulsion when using it.

Give the plants a weekly dose with the fish fert at half strength and one side dressing of the Potash . Then just wait and see. You may get a good return, you may not but you'll learn lots and be more prepared for your next attempts.
If you keep on trying to correct you will end up with a cocktail that will cause other problems.

The thing about amending soils organically is it isn't instant. You grow soil over time. The plants grow themselves.

Do you have a compost area? There-in lie all your answers!

-
The secret is the soil.
by davida580 on April 17, 2006 01:46 PM
can you find sulphate of potash easly?
by Longy on April 17, 2006 01:54 PM
i can. Most produce type stores or agricultural supply stores etc will sell it.

-
The secret is the soil.
by davida580 on April 17, 2006 02:04 PM
should i lime around my plants again i don't know if used enough the first time i put about 30lbs. on a 33'-50' spot
by Longy on April 17, 2006 02:15 PM
Add lime at a clenched handful to the square yard as a rough guide. If the plants are already in the soil, i wouldn't worry this season. Ph 6 is fine. 5 is a bit too sour. It'll take months to change the Ph of the soil anyway.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: