The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Compost...Compost...Compost

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: compost| Next thread: Compost, a few q's »
Back to Thread index
by Winston on April 12, 2006 01:42 AM
I have a tough time keeping my compost pile at a consistently high temp... it had been around 60-70 degrees for sometime.. then I turned it and added lots of browns.... it quickly shot into the 100's, got as high as 120 and stayed at 110 for about a week. then it plumetted to 70 again and is staying there.... please help [Eek!] [Mad]

Compost... Beautiful Compost
by Longy on April 12, 2006 02:49 AM
No help required Winston. When the mix gets out of balance, it will cool off. Generally it is because of the air being used up inside the heap. Turning it aerates it. After doing so a few times, maybe once a week for 6 weeks, it should be close to being ready to use.
Sometimes i put a length of drain pipe into the heap as i'm building it to keep it aerated. Been trying to figure out a way of sticking the blower vac into the pipe to aerate it. Haven't quite got that one sorted yet though.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Winston on April 12, 2006 04:07 AM
Thanks Longy. I appreciate your support. I get get frustrated... I was sooooo high when it was "cooking" in the triple digits... then it really bummed me out when it dropped.

I guess I did not realize that the bin could be THAT sensitive. I do LOVE composting though... it is truly amazing. WOW!!

by johnCT on April 12, 2006 07:57 PM
That's normal. Keep adding greens when that happens. I use grass clippings to help it along.

John - Zone 6
by Winston on April 12, 2006 08:57 PM
Thanks johnCT! It was back up to 90 again this am so hopefully we are back to stabilization. I will gradually continue to add browns and greens proportionately in hopes to get the machine crankin again!

Happy Composting Everyone!

by johnCT on April 12, 2006 09:35 PM
I wouldn't look for stabilization Winston. Its not going to stay at a high temp, but if you turn it and add some greens it will heat back up. If you continue to add browns you will never have completely finished compost. Your better off starting a new pile. This is why the three bin system works best. One finished, one working, and one new pile.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on April 13, 2006 01:04 AM
John, that's exactly what I was going to say to him, eventually you've got to stop putting stuff in, and let it render down and do it's own thing..
and start a new pile.

In the "top of the line composting" there's 3 bin system... One you're throwing stuff in... One you're letting sit and renderdown... and One you're working out of and taking the compost out..

I'm sifting mine today!!!

********Winston, it's sooooooo [Cool] good to hear [gabby] you're enjoying composting.. It is a marvelous thing [flower] [thumb] ..*******

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Winston on April 13, 2006 02:10 AM
Thank you Weezie.... I appreciate everyone's comments. A three container system is just not very feasible for me, so i will have to make do with what i have.

Composting really blows me away! It truly is amazing how much waste one creates, without even trying...and it becomes so much more obvious when it is being saved... stored... and composted!

Yee Haw! [clappy]

by weezie13 on April 13, 2006 03:54 AM
Winston,
If you don't have that room for the 3 bin system,
then the next best thing to do is...
When you have to or should stop, let that sit for a tiny bit *maybe save your stuff you'd put in for a week..* then go to the pile and take the pile and put it in to black or dark brown~very tough plastic garbage bags~ and let it sit somewhere's.... then it will finish rendering down in the bags, and you can start a new one..

Or get yourself some heavy duty big black or dark colored garbage cans...*maybe even one's with wheels, so you can wheel it where you want to, like into the sunshine, or to where you're going to use it... or just out of the way..

My neighbor even made one out of a garbage can that's a tumbler of some sorts...
I have been meaning to get over to his yard and take some pictures of it, but just haven't caught them home yet...

I love compost, cause it stretches my gardening dollars for dirt and food for the plants, and a mulch too...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Amigatec on April 13, 2006 08:59 AM
The way I do it is, I make a long, wide pile. I start at one end and add to the pile as I go.

It takes a larger area to do this, but when I get done, I have a pile that is 15 by 20 by 4 feet.

In the fall I haul it to the garden, till it in, and let it finish.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: compost| Next thread: Compost, a few q's »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: