The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to Compost Chicken Manure

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Michael15r on April 10, 2006 12:20 PM
Hello everyone, this maybe a stupid question, but how do I compost chicken manure. I have searched and searched everywhere from google to this wonderful site, but I haven't found any good speific tips on how to do so. So if anyone would like to tell me I would be more then likely to listen!..

Is this composting. This is what I do with all my chicken manure.

I get the poop droppings and put it in the container and then when I have a lot. I add water to it and stir it well so it becomes liquid, But then I'm stuck. I don't know whether if I pour it in the plants or what? Any advice needed.

..Additionally any others that may have the same question. [grin]

Thanks!...
Best Regards,
Michael

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by Triss on April 10, 2006 12:38 PM
Michael, You do not want to pour chicken manure directly on plants as it is too strong and could damage them. You want to add it to your composting bin and it is considered a green product. Let it break down there and then you should be able to use it just fine.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Michael15r on April 10, 2006 01:10 PM
How about around the plants? Will this damage them as well? Instead of pouring it on the plant it self? Why is it considered as a green product?

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by johnCT on April 10, 2006 11:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael15r:
How about around the plants? Will this damage them as well? Instead of pouring it on the plant it self? Why is it considered as a green product?
Chicken poop is VERY high in nitrogen when its fresh. Excessive N can and will burn plants by over-fertilizing them. Throw it in a pile with some chopped up leaves and let it rot for a couple months into compost and then amend your planting beds with it.

John - Zone 6
by Longy on April 11, 2006 04:29 AM
Hey Michael. To make compost, you use a mixture of nitrogen based ingredients, such as fresh manures, grass clippings, leaves, etc. These are the "green products" and chook poo is one of them. The other is carbon based or "brown products" such as dried leaves, straw, cardboard etc. Stuff with the green-ness weathered or processed out of them. Composting is a mixture of the two which creates an environment for bacteria and other life to break the mixture down.
So to compost your chook manure, you will need other ingredients. Depending on the volumes you're talking about, i'd suggest a bale or two of straw/hay, some grass clippings, fresh and dried and whatever else you have. Some old piles of leaves, the raked up remains of the woodchopping area, prunings, old sunflower stals and leaves, whatever. Try and get the volume up to about a cubic metre and make it moist as you go.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Michael15r on April 11, 2006 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the great advice you two. I already threw it in the compost. Thank you once again!

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by Triss on April 11, 2006 12:20 PM
Glad we could help! Hope it breaks down fast for you so you can use it soon!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: