The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Question about Compost Bins

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by patches1414 on March 11, 2006 05:41 AM
I was told by a Master Gardner that I should put my compost bins (which are circular and made out of hardward cloth) on top of pallets so they get more air circulation underneath. Is this true? [dunno] I understand the concept of getting more air into the bin, but wouldn't that keep the earthworms out of it, and aren't they beneficial to the compost? [dunno]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by peppereater on March 11, 2006 06:41 AM
If you put hardware cloth under the bins on top of the pallets they would get more air...but be harder to turn thoroughly, and definitely wouldn't benefit from earthworms. I think he had a good idea but not a great one. If you want to get more air circulation, make a tube about 4 to 6 inches around out of hardware cloth, even small chicken wire, and put this in the center of the bin, from the ground to the top of the bin, before you fill it. This will get air into the center of the pile. I'm all for ground contact for the bin.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by patches1414 on March 11, 2006 07:11 AM
Thanks Dave, this is exactly the kind of input I was looking for and wasn't able to find. I read all the stuff on compost at this site and also some things on the internet, but I never did see anyone suggest putting them on pallets.

Actually, with the hardware cloth bins it's hard for me to get in there and adequately turn it so I bought one of those compost aerators that you plunge down into the compost and these fins come out you can lift and turn that way. [thumb]

As far as getting more air into the bin I took a 4" PVC pipe, then I drilled lot of large holes in it and I put that in the middle of the bin. So, I think the bins are probably getting plenty of air and I would be better off having the earth worms in there! RIGHT???

Thanks again for the input! [flower] [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: