The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

composting in winter??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Composting in trashbags| Next thread: Composting Moron »
Back to Thread index
by ladybug67 on January 19, 2006 02:57 AM
Hello, All It's been a while, Well with the winter here in Massachusettes not sure if i can still use my compost trying to get out their with all the snow and all. Well my question is What should I do??? With my kitchen scraps?? Not being able to get too the compost I have been just buting all the scraps in bags and throwing them in my freezer. I have one of those big 5 cubit feet one.lol Will the scraps still be ok for when the weather is nicer out to get back to it?? Any thought on this Would be great!!!!!! Thanks all. Dee

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by tkhooper on January 19, 2006 04:36 AM
your doing perfect. That's exactly where the scraps belong until spring thaw.

-
 -
by JV on January 19, 2006 07:20 PM
Ladybug if your freezing them anyway why not just put them in your compost pile they will be frozen there also wont they? When it starts thawing they will just start the process then instead of when you get them out of the freezer. May save a week or so of compostingf time. Here in Texas I use my compost Tumbler year round and of course I am also using worms.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by weezie13 on January 19, 2006 11:55 PM
Yep, I would say the same too..
*although I have been known to throw mine
in the freezer too, cause it's toooo cold to
get out side or didn't feel like going out..*
but, keep on throwing that compost in there..
and come this summer, plan for throwing it in,
even in the winter and if you can keep something
that would be considered brown, off to the side,
*un frozen* and layer in between... that'll get your stuff layered properly and readyyyyyyyy to go right into action, come spring time..

Let us know how you make out [dunno] ..
Always [Cool] love [Love] to hear [gabby] about compost [critic] news [thumb] [flower] ...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ladybug67 on January 25, 2006 05:27 AM
Thanks so much for the replys!!!!!

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by ozkar on February 28, 2006 09:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ladybug67:
Hello, All It's been a while, Well with the winter here in Massachusettes not sure if i can still use my compost trying to get out their with all the snow and all. Well my question is What should I do??? With my kitchen scraps?? Not being able to get too the compost I have been just buting all the scraps in bags and throwing [/LIST] them in my freezer. I have one of those big 5 cubit feet one.lol Will the scraps still be ok for when the weather is nicer out to get back to it?? Any thought on this Would be great!!!!!! Thanks all. Dee

oscar
by ozkar on February 28, 2006 09:44 AM
you have to put a palstic in top of the compost to mantain the compost hot and you can put all the food that you have in your freezer in the compost pile but it´s important to mantain away any humidity of the envirment

oscar

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Composting in trashbags| Next thread: Composting Moron »
Back to Thread index