The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Free Fall Food From Forest and Field

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Free cabbage plants @ my walmart!| Next thread: free herb seeds »
Back to Thread index
by LMT on September 28, 2005 12:59 AM
PUFFBALLS!!!

Linky

I saw one yesterday so I had to go back and get it this morning for breakfast. Most excellent and there are a half dozen more that started over night!

As the article says, they must be WHITE inside.

I fry them with butter and/or olive oil and a little salt and pepper.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by afgreyparrot on September 28, 2005 07:03 AM
I didn't know you could eat those!
Cool! [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by LMT on October 01, 2005 07:47 AM
I wonder, has anyone tried one? I've consumed two and I'm still here. I'm going to collect some on Sunday, saute and freeze for later. Should be a nice meat substitute in a stir fry.

No fuss, no mess. If they're young, they're good.

Talk about organic ...

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by peppereater on October 02, 2005 12:47 AM
I've been gathering mushrooms since my father first took me hunting them as a kid. I always refer to at least two field guides for positively identifying varieties. Be aware that there are some toxic puffballs, but I believe any of the giant varieties are fine. It would be cool if someone who really knows this stuff would start a forum here!
by LMT on October 06, 2005 04:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
I've been gathering mushrooms since my father first took me hunting them as a kid. I always refer to at least two field guides for positively identifying varieties. Be aware that there are some toxic puffballs, but I believe any of the giant varieties are fine. It would be cool if someone who really knows this stuff would start a forum here!
No kidding. We have people swapping seeds ... why not free food! I've eaten puffballs for more than 20 years. You know, people say everything tastes like chicken ... puffballs taste like pork chops.

My guide is that it needs to be as white as a mashmellow and even whiter inside. If all goes well I'll have pics later.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Free cabbage plants @ my walmart!| Next thread: free herb seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: