The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chives

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: chives| Next thread: Chives »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on October 01, 2006 08:36 PM
Well today I finally felt well enough to go out and dig up my healthiest clump of chives. I love having them indoors. And it was time to give up on my purple hycinth bean vine. I'll know next year that it needs at least a 10 inch pot.

-
 -
by nmlAlba-dC15 on October 02, 2006 09:23 AM
Hi Tammy....

What has happened to your purple hyacinth bean? n whatabout da white one?.... Don't worry whatever happens... i can always send u some more seeds... my purple ...new plant ...is flowering now...n da whites of course..n da Thompson & Morgan one too... purple tho...not pink s they claim...they r all planted in/on? da ground....

BTW i have received their replacement seeds a few days ago..but have not posted da news in da forum...n i have not sown 'em yet...REALLY, REALLY HOPE these seeds will produce da elusive pink flowers... n another thing T&M also claimed that da flowers r fragrant.. outta curiosity r your Hyacinth Bean Flowers fragrant?

p/s i tried sowing chives some time ago... finished off a packet of seeds i received from a friend here in this forum ..... little by little that is....didn't sow all at once.... Unfortunately none came up... i wonder if chives doesn't like our warm weather??

Have a nice day, Tammy.....

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by tkhooper on October 02, 2006 11:27 AM
I think the hycinth bean was in too small of a pot. It grew really well but it never bloomed. So of course I don't know about a scent with them. The white one did the same thing. It grew well for a while but never bloomed. Then they both died.

I hope you have good luck with your new seeds.

As far as the chives go they should have been very easy to grow. Just sprinkle them over the soil and then cover with about 1/16 of an inch of soil. I usually just sprinkle soil lightly over the seeds. Then keep moist until they germinate and then water about twice a week. They like full sun and warm temperatures so I wouldn't think you would have a problem. You can grow them inside if you have window space. I do that all through the fall and winter so I have them fresh for cooking.

-
 -
by nmlAlba-dC15 on October 02, 2006 02:20 PM
K Tammy...i'll send u some seeds s soon s i can... all da types i have plus da T&M seeds i have just received... there r 8 T&M 'pink? hyacinth bean' seeds altogether... i'll send u half ... may b these will grow better n bloom for u...

Have a nice day....

-
by nmlAlba-dC15 on October 02, 2006 04:49 PM
Ooops BTW Tammy... can i give your address to T&M...( n i'll get a free packet of seeds for 2 addresses...one of which is da address of a very very long time family friend in England)...for them to send u their catalogue... have never received a plant catalogue before... when i received theirs..i REALLY ENJOYED going thro da Ohh WoW BEAUUTIFUL pictures....think u'd love da catalogue...

But if u dont like it...please dont hesitate to say so...n i will not give 'em your addy....

-
by nmlAlba-dC15 on October 02, 2006 04:51 PM
n ohh da catalogue is free...

-
by tkhooper on October 02, 2006 08:21 PM
Hi Nor,

Go ahead and give them my address I don't mind.

Please don't send any seeds. I'm hosting the fall fling seed exchange and me receiving any seeds right now would really confuse things. But thankyou for the thought. I hope you will join the Fall Fling Seed Exchange. It is loads and loads of fun. At least it is for me.

I'll pm you with my addy. We aren't suppose to put them on the forum.

-
 -
by nmlAlba-dC15 on October 03, 2006 03:57 PM
Ohh thanks Tammy... i dont think i should join it coz.. at da moment i still have quite a lot of unsown seeds...well i do not have a large garden.. n what there is i do not really have a lot of time to care much more... weeds r conquering everything... itz such a losing battle this fight against da weeds that m giving up...so some of my plants bloom among da weeds!!

..n thanks for da permission to send your addy to T&M....BTW u don't really have to PMme your addy..i still have it....i think u'll really love da catalogue... n i think this is also one way we can learn da different names of da plants n flowers!!

Have a nice day...

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: chives| Next thread: Chives »
Back to Thread index