The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

wormwood

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Worms Update| Next thread: would liek to plant my first garden »
Back to Thread index
by amy7467 on September 11, 2006 03:26 AM
I bought a small wormwood plant in a variety pack of herbs. Could someone please tell me what it can be used for? I don't find that it has a particular scent, is it edible or useful for cooking? The flowers aren't particularly impressive, and it got much larger than I expected. Other than using it to fill in space, what is it's purpose?
by Deborah L. on September 11, 2006 04:26 AM
Is it a soft gray plant? Feathery?
Don't eat it, it's toxic.
It's used as a bug repellant and was used in an alcoholic drink which is now illegal.
That is, if you have the wormwood I know.
I think there's another one but I'm not sure.

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 11, 2006 05:07 AM
Mine almost looks like parsley in the shape of the leaves and is a light green rather than a grey. Of course mine are only one growing season old this year. Hopefully I'll be able to pot some up to take with me. I just don't know where I will put them lol. So many wonderful plants.

-
 -
by amy7467 on September 11, 2006 05:30 AM
The tag from the nursery calls it "Sweet Annie or Sweet Wormwood" then it just gives growing instructions--likes full sun, etc. Can't find much about it on the net. If it doesn't come back next year, I won't be disappointed.
by Lorena on October 18, 2006 09:52 AM
Richter's catalog to the rescue!

Here it is:

Sweet Annie Wormwood Artemisia annua
(Qing-guo: Sweet Annie) Sweet-scented Chinese herb. Anti-malarial properties, attributed to the compound artemisinin; shown to be very effective.

Annual / medicinal / dried production / aromatic; cosmetic

Amy, if it produced seeds, I'd like some if you are interested in trading at all.

Lorena

-
"My Treasures do not clink
together or glitter. They gleam in
the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb
by amy7467 on October 18, 2006 11:06 PM
Oh Lorena! I'm so sorry! I just yanked it out last week! I didn't notice it having any seeds. It never got flowers of any sort and it didn't have a fragrance. It just got big and bushy and crowded my lavender. That's probably the one and only time I have ever been ruthless about a growing thing because I love them all. Oh well. We'll have to try to trade another time!

Amy

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Worms Update| Next thread: would liek to plant my first garden »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: