The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

how do i harvest my rosemary?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by mrs. mounts on June 17, 2006 05:07 AM
have some very healthy rosemary do i pull off the little needles or cut the little branch its on?
by afgreyparrot on June 17, 2006 02:47 PM
mrs. mounts..... [wavey]
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I have never grown rosemary...but I know that Vanessa does...she's one of my best friends here, but hasn't been on in a few days (she's under the weather).
I'll make sure she sees this topic so she can give you an answer.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Zenith on June 18, 2006 09:45 PM
Hello mrs. mounts

With your rosemary you just want to cut a branch off if its more then you need place it in a glass of water it will keep for a few days doing this.
by tkhooper on June 19, 2006 01:27 AM
Hey Zenith,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the information. I finally found a rosemary that likes it in my garden. At least it hasn't died yet. It's not growing either but it's not dying and that is progress big time for me with that plant.

-
 -
by Zenith on June 19, 2006 02:05 AM
Thanks for the welcome [Smile]
by snapdragon on June 19, 2006 02:02 PM
Welcome to you Zenith. TK, I know what you mean.... I finally have rosemary that isn't dying on me. It's in a plastic pot that's fairly deep with several different layers of soil in it. I thought all that rain we got would drown it, but it seems to be flourishing.

Snapdragon
by Zenith on June 20, 2006 12:35 AM
Thanks snapdragon [Smile]

Here in Aus where I am at least no issues, plant it water it every few days and it seems to grow fine
[Smile]
by cookinmom on June 22, 2006 12:41 PM
Rosemary grows like crazy down here. I have a plant I moved from our old house when we moved here in 2000, and it is still growing good, even when I forget to water it for a while. It has never bloomed though, but that's OK with me.
[flower]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by 4Ruddy on June 25, 2006 04:51 AM
Hi Zenith and welcome to the forum...when you want to harvest your rosemary just trim of the branches. I like to dry mine. Just hang the branches and let them dry out then remove the little "needles". You can use them like they are or zip them in a food processor to powder them. Rosemary is an EXCELLENT spice for your chicken & fish recipes and also really good if you bake bread or make pestos...it is one of my favorite spices.
Hope this helps some...have fun with your rosemary...

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by peppereater on June 25, 2006 06:52 AM
Man, I love rosemary. Nothing like pork chops with rosemary. I always use mine fresh, I just snip as much as I need. It's such a beautiful plant, too. I use it like an evergreen shrub. Mine bloomed for about 3 months this winter.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by sue099 on July 05, 2006 08:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragon:
TK, I know what you mean.... I finally have rosemary that isn't dying on me.
I thought I was the only one who has experienced hassles trying to grow rosemary.

Last year I had a cutting from a family member which did well in a pot on my deck all summer and then within a few days suddenly turned yellowish-brown and dried up looking. I couldn't figure it out at all. This spring I bought a plant and its also in a pot on my deck and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again but since I'm not sure what caused it before I'm kinda at a loss as to how to nurse it.

Nature is the art of God ~ Thomas Browne,1635
by Deborah L. on July 05, 2006 01:25 PM
Peppereater, once you cook beef with rosemary, you never go back. The rosemary just seems to do something savory to beef. No real rosemary flavor, just something savory and wonderful happens.
I haven't eaten meat in years, but oh, how I remember.....

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: