The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dirt too hot?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Dirt ain't cheap| Next thread: Dirty and discolored river rocks »
Back to Thread index
by jesuslover on June 03, 2004 02:51 AM
Has anyone ever heard the term "hot dirt?" I live in Fresno, CA where it is 100 degrees right now and I have been trying to plant flowers (any and all kind as long as it grows.) I have a veggie garden doing fine next to where I'm trying to plant flowers. No matter what I plant they die before a week is up, except for sunflowers (where I live sunflowers grow anywhere.) Someone told me the dirt is too hot. The flowers turn brown and brittle no matter how much water and nutrients I give them. Is it "hot dirt?" Is there a cure? [dunno]

If you knock and there's no answer, I'm with God in the garden out back.
by weezie13 on June 03, 2004 03:14 AM
Mulch and Compost can help.....

Instead of the dirt drying up soooooo hot and hard, the compost mixed into the dirt will help
keep some moisture and nutrients for the plant.

And if you put a nice layer of mulch on top of the dirt, that will keep the moisture down into the dirt instead of evaporating out the top to the suns' rays'!!!!!

And water in the morning, so the plant has time to absorb the water and then use it during the day when it needs it the most!!

Hope this helps!!
Weezie

Can I ask what kind of plants you tried to grow??
And what kind of planter area that it is in???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by papito on June 03, 2004 04:08 PM
Flowers that take the heat.

See list at Heat tolerant annuals

See also Weezie's post on mulching, composting and watering early during early morning.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dirt ain't cheap| Next thread: Dirty and discolored river rocks »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: