The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

thai basil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Texas star Hibiscus| Next thread: Thai plant care »
Back to Thread index
by joclyn on May 30, 2006 03:50 PM
i'm really glad i got this...it's a unique looking plant (i love stuff that's different than the usual) and it smells wonderful when i've brushed against it.

i can't wait to use it in some dish...thing is, how is it different from regular basil? is there something, in particular, that it goes really well with (that i might not think of)?

thanks!

oh, 'nother thing...can i bring this inside for the winter??
by chenno on May 31, 2006 06:33 AM
I am interested in this too..
I never heard of it?
What does it look like?
Angie

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by ishaffer on May 31, 2006 01:47 PM
Thai is my absolute favorite basil. It has an anise flavor. Great in lots of things, especially cold asparagus salad. Cook your asparagus to el dente, (done but still a bit crisp). Chill it in the fridge. Add fresh chopped Thai, douse it with some Balsamic vinegar and enjoy!
by ChristinaC on May 31, 2006 01:51 PM
Thai basil is also my fave! You can use it the same way you use sweet basil...but is very, very common in Thai cooking...(obviously). Like ishaffer said, it has an anise flavour and I also think it's more minty tasting than sweet basil.
As for bringing it in for the winter, Basil is an annual. You can certainly grow it indoors but I usually sow seeds every month to give me a fresh supply.

-
 -
by joclyn on May 31, 2006 05:03 PM
thai basil is my fav color - purple!

the cold asparagus salad sounds absolutely wonderful!! i love asparagus - and geez, that's really easy to make!! thanks!!

i noticed a minty scent when i was fiddling with it! hmmm, i wonder if i made a mistake? i pinched the tops back because there were flower spikes growing...in fact, one had started flowering.

i was thinking to make it bush out a bit more as well as, when herbs go to flower they usually don't taste as good.

am i wrong in thinking letting it flower will affect it's flavor and will it grow more flower spikes??

oh, i hope i haven't screwed things up!! i wanted to try to get seeds from it!!
by ChristinaC on June 01, 2006 01:27 AM
All basils are in the mint family, as are many other herbs, so the minty scent is not a mistake..you should smell it.
You did the right thing with pinching off the flowers. I keep pinching right up until the end of the season when I've used all I'm going to use. You can then let it go to flower to save some seeds.

-
 -
by chenno on June 01, 2006 02:40 AM
Hi

I looked all over for this, after reading your post,and nowhere to be found. I found several varieties. but not that one.
I will look for seeds.
Good day
Angie

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Texas star Hibiscus| Next thread: Thai plant care »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: