The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

did i burn my basil?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by pumpie on May 27, 2006 03:20 AM
yesterday i found some leaves on my large basil plants had turned black. not brown, not yellow, but there were black patches on a few of the topmost leaves. the only thing different for this plant is that i moved, so it was in my hot car for an hour and a half. it was only hot for the first 20 minutes or so. could this be the problem? i just trimmed those leaves and am going from there. thanks,
amy
by tkhooper on May 27, 2006 03:27 AM
My cinnamon basil that I planted outside has purple at the base of the leaves. About the same color as the flower spikes when they first form. But I assumed that was because of the transplant. Could it be doing the same thing just because it was moved?

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 27, 2006 06:03 AM
Is it maybe one of those basils that has the purplish color? Have you grown it before?

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 27, 2006 06:06 AM
Pumpie, I think it was the heat, I've had that happen from just buying basil and then running errands.
Just a few leaves, the plant was OK.
Basil doesn't seem to like me however, no matter what I do, it stays light green and tender, like it's always young, and never mature and firm.

-
 -
by pumpie on May 27, 2006 03:19 PM
it's cinnamon basil (i think). i've had it since the fall, from a friend who started growing it from seed in the summer. i have 3 plants and they're huge. lots of tasty leaves. i'm confident it's not purple leaves, but it hasn't continued. thanks so much for the help everyone.

amy
by Deborah L. on May 27, 2006 04:02 PM
What's everyone's favorite use for basil?
I love to tuck a few washed leaves inside a grilled cheese sandwich before cooking it.
And to tear a few pieces of fragrant basil onto a slice of pizza. YUM !
I heard somewhere that cutting basil just leaves the flavor on the knife, so that's why I tear it.
Tear the picked leaves, I mean, not tear them off the plant. LOL.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: