The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

when to plant Thai basil in zone 5b

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: When to plant daffodils?| Next thread: when to prune a peach tree? »
Back to Thread index
by waterlilyrb on May 11, 2006 04:30 AM
I have acquired two beautiful "Queen of Siam" (thai basil) plants and need some advice on when to plant. For example, I know that sweet basil should not be planted until the night temps are at least 60F. (not there yet) If anyone can advise me if Thai basil follows that same general rule, I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance.
by Triss on May 11, 2006 05:43 AM
Waterlily, I treat all of my basil the same. You will get more reponses on this one if it gets moved down to Herbs and I am sure a hostess will come along and do that for you soon.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by ChristinaC on May 11, 2006 06:54 AM
Triss is right. I plant my Thai Basil outside at the same time as my Sweet Basil. Both my Thai and Sweet are still in my house...couple weeks before I can get them outside..(if weather cooperates).

-
 -
by waterlilyrb on May 11, 2006 09:36 AM
Thanks to you both! I did get a message that the hostess sent it to the Herb forum, thanks Triss. If nothing else, I'll hold off until the sweet basil goes in the ground, probably by the end of the month.
by Triss on May 11, 2006 09:46 AM
Good luck with it!

-
 -
by joclyn on May 11, 2006 12:08 PM
i was just at the store and saw some of that thai basil. gorgeous plant!!!

does it have a different flavor than the other type?

does it do well when kept inside?
by Triss on May 11, 2006 01:11 PM
I dunno about the Thai but my other basil, for me, have never done well inside.

-
 -
by waterlilyrb on May 11, 2006 04:18 PM
Joclyn, Thai Basil has a very distinct flavor. It has a spicy taste with a bit of an anise-like smell.

As for the growing, well, I put a plant in my garden last year and it simply croaked. It says it's a full sun plant, but, I think the heat here in Indiana may have done it in. Never tried to grow it (or any herbs) inside.

(Thanks Triss! Time will certainly tell)
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 06:51 AM
waterlily, that sounds wonderful!! i'm going to head over to the store and see if they still have any left...
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 12:27 PM
i bought one today. asked about keeping it in a pot rather than putting it in the bed - the tag says to plant it in sandy soil for drainage.

the guy at the store said, yes, it will do better in a pot. we've got clay soil around here, so, they tend to get waterlogged when in the ground (unless the soil is amended properly).
by Triss on May 12, 2006 05:44 PM
That is good to know. I am going to look for some next time at the store.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: When to plant daffodils?| Next thread: when to prune a peach tree? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: