The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

new to growing herbs - potting tips

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by pumpie on May 05, 2006 05:42 PM
hi everyone,
i've looked through lots of the posts here to find out what people are doing with their herbs. i started basil, oregano, parsley and cilantro from seed a few weeks ago (my first time) and i have a few questions. i know the basil needs to be well spaced out, but what about the others? i had parsley in the past, and it had been planted in a clump--is that ok? what about the cilantro and italian oregano? i keep them indoors in pots, although they might spend time outside later in the summer (no backyard in my winter apartment). the cilantro especially has grown like crazy and i think it's time to move it. thanks for any advice,
amy
by tkhooper on May 06, 2006 12:47 AM
Yes basil is bush like. I keep mine in a pot in the kitchen but it's a big pot lol. Cilantro gets a couple of feet tall so it helps to give it some space. The cilantro is all at the bottom of the plant so if you aren't going to harvest the coriander seeds at the top you could probably keep it short so it was easier to deal with in the house.

My parsley is also in a clump but I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I never thought about asking the question. So thankyou for posting that one.

I still haven't had any luck growing oregano so I don't have your answer to that question either.

-
 -
by comfrey on May 12, 2006 03:26 PM
The oregano will will spread out and stay lower growing. To keep it neat, you will have to clip small pieces regularly, which will dry nicely for using later.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: