The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hi Y'all & good mornin'

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hi there!!! I need some help!!!| Next thread: hibiscuis seedlings »
Back to Thread index
by star3 on May 04, 2006 02:11 AM
This looks like one of the most informative sites i've seen yet...thanks Mr. Beaurain...
MINT question...what's the best way to harvest & dry for : 1., freezing whole leaves for cooking & for garnish 2.,drying for teas or potions. i only have a few plants so i need to make the best of them as they grow & spread. i have spearmint & peppermint. Can they tolerate any shade? We live in zone 8a, n.e. Texas.

God's In Control
by tkhooper on May 06, 2006 12:53 AM
freezing whole leaves for cooking. parboil for a few seconds and then place in ice cube tray and fill with water and freeze. Freezing for garnish I don't know. Drying I use my microwave. Heat on high for 5 minutes and then in 1 minute increments until totally dry and crumbly.

Hope this helps some. Many people don't like using a microwave for drying because the leaves loose some of their flavor. But I have a hard time air drying herbs. I'm very impatient lol.

-
 -
by comfrey on May 12, 2006 03:21 PM
I use a dehydrator to dry most herbs and then store in a air tight container and store out of the light to maintain the color. You can also hang stems with leaves upside down to dry indoors...A cloths hanger with paper over wire type and cloths puins will work also, or you can use string to tie small groups of stems for hangin to dry...the higher up the faster they will dry.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hi there!!! I need some help!!!| Next thread: hibiscuis seedlings »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: