The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

salmon or tuna patties

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: SALAD DRESSING RECIPES| Next thread: salsa recipe »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on September 16, 2005 09:52 PM
Does anyone have an easy but good tasting recipe for either salmon or tuna patties? I try to make them but they just do not taste as good as I think they should? Rita
by ChristinaC on September 16, 2005 10:07 PM
This recipe is simple. But to be honest, I prefer to pick up a real salmon filet...marinate it, grill it, and put it on a fresh toasty roll.

1 (15-ounce) can salmon (bones removed)
2 green bell peppers, finely diced
1 yellow onion, finely diced
Salt and pepper
3 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil, for frying
Ketchup, for serving, optional
Hot sauce, for serving, optional

Combine salmon, bell peppers, and onion in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Shape by hand into patties, as you would a hamburger. In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal and flour. Roll salmon patties in the cornmeal mixture.
Heat about 1-inch of oil in a large, heavy skillet to 340 degrees F. Carefully place patties, in batches as necessary, in the hot oil and fry for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain patties on paper towels. Serve with ketchup and/or hot sauce, if desired.

Christina

-
 -
by ladystressout on September 17, 2005 02:13 AM
that sounds good and simple going to give them a try thank you so much Rita
by Murphy on September 18, 2005 08:35 AM
I use a large can of skinless boneless salmon. add 1 egg, about a cup of soda cracker crumbs, and a little salt and pepper. Form into thin patties and fry them in veg. oil until nicely browned and krispy. Yummy!!!
by afgreyparrot on September 18, 2005 10:02 PM
Man, there is nothing better than salmon, with tuna coming in as a close second.

I have tuna for breakfast every single day, and usually for lunch, too. Even had it for supper last night...and night before last had salmon for supper!

No doubt I will die of mercury poisoning soon... [Roll Eyes]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by ladystressout on September 20, 2005 11:57 PM
thank you for the recipe and they both sound good and will try both of them to see which ones I liked the best?My hubby does not like salmon or tuna but my grand kids does so now since i love them I can fix some without any going to waste!Cindy don't you get tired of eating tuna or salmon all the time?You must fix them different ways?Rita
by afgreyparrot on September 21, 2005 12:15 AM
quote:
Cindy don't you get tired of eating tuna or salmon all the time?You must fix them different ways?
Nope...never get tired of tuna and salmon! [grin]

I usually eat it right out of the can...
...but night before last I had creamed tuna and broccoli over toasted french bread, and the night before that I made salmon patties.
I always eat tuna for breakfast. [thumb]

I need to look on the internet and see if I can find out just how much tuna you can eat without killing yourself in the process. [nutz]

-
 -
 -
by Karrie on September 21, 2005 02:18 AM
I love salmon patties with fried taters. It is by all means one of my sons favorite meals. He will inhale it. I make them pretty much the same way as murphy said. I will sometimes used flavored bread crumbs instead of crackers though, but ultimately the same way. I love tuna too Cindy, although I don't inhale it the way you do. My breakfast each day is toast with peanut butter on it. Lunch usually pb and j sandwich. snack reeces peanut butter candies. It appears we both have addictive behaviors. [Big Grin]

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by afgreyparrot on September 21, 2005 10:04 AM
Well...I looked up the mercury/tuna stuff today.. [Frown]

I didn't know there was so much mercury in fish...tuna, salmon, swordfish... [Roll Eyes]

I found out I shouldn't be eating but one can of tuna every 10 days (white albacore). The regular tuna I can eat one can every 5 days.

I've been eating several cans a day for a LONG time.

[Eek!]

I'm TOXIC!

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on September 22, 2005 01:43 AM
Jeepers Cindy, You should be glowing...

Rita, My recipe is the same as Murphy's...
Red Salmon only though..
Egg,
Saltines. *4*

But I let the crackers soak up a little of the
juice first to get mushie and not soooo crunchie,
and tasteless..
Then throw in the can of Salmon~bones and all..
***I used to pick them out when I first started making it, but it just never tasted like my mothers***

Both of my kids love them!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 22, 2005 09:49 AM
Extra Special Salmon Cakes
1 can pink salmon, drained and picked of skin and large bones
1 package basil/tomato flavored smoked salmon
1 egg white
about 10 FF saltines, crushed
1/2 or so roasted red pepper, minced
as much garlic, minced, as you can handle
1T fresh minced herbs of your choice, such as parsley, dill, chives, basil, oregano
about 1/3c Hellman's reduced fat mayo
gently mix ingredients and form into 4 or 6 patties. Cook in a saute pan sprayed with Pam until golden on each side (everything is really cooked so you just need to heat it up). Do not add salt. Serve over greens/herbs with baguette slices.

Salmon Patties (my old favorite)
1 can good quality salmon- picked over and drained
1/3 of a cylinder of FF saltines, crushed
1T. Old Bay seasoning
2t. dill weed
salt and pepper
1 bunch scallions chopped very fine
2 egg whites
3 T. mayo of choice

Mix gently but well. Form into 4 balls and drop into heated pan with Pam. Flatten with a spatula and cook until golden on each side.

Both could be cooked on foil on the grill. Spray foil with lots of Pam so they can be turned over.

-
by afgreyparrot on September 22, 2005 09:17 PM
Oh, YUM, Tamara! [grin]

-
 -
 -
by ladystressout on September 23, 2005 12:01 AM
I'm getting so many good recipes for salmon and I should of posted before going to try each one to see which one I like the best?Thank you all
by comfrey on September 26, 2005 11:25 AM
Here's the way I make salmon patties:

1 can salmon
1 package of saltine crackers (crushed)
2 eggs
1 onion chopped

Mix it all together and make your patties, and then fry in hot skillet...I love them! Haven't had Tuna patties, might be interesting.

Jean in Arkansas

-
 -
by peppereater on October 02, 2005 01:17 AM
Cindy...man, I hate to be a downer, but the mercury issue is serious! I read an article in Reader's Digest, I think, about a doctor who had a rash of cases of people with serious neurological problems, chronic fatigue, etc. Turned out all these people were eating tons of fresh salmon, tuna etc 'cause it was HEALTHY! They were loaded with mercury. Mercury is especially bad for children, and the recommendation is NO TUNA for pregnant women, it's that dangerous. I still eat tuna and salmon, fresh as well as canned, but I like it only a few times any given week. Farm raised salmon doesn't have the same risks, but there are questions about that, too, like the fact that theyre fed synthetic beta-carotine to make the flesh pink. Moderation. Tuna for breakfast? blehhh [nutz] [grin]
by afgreyparrot on October 02, 2005 01:31 AM
quote:
but the mercury issue is serious!
I've been trying to cut back. [Roll Eyes]
I have a serious tuna/salmon problem...and I guess that's the first step...admitting you have a problem!
I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for salmon addicts? [nutz]

Someone sent me a huge fillet of smoked salmon several months ago, and there was no way I could stop eating it until it was GONE! I mean, every bit of it! [Embarrassed]
(Now that I look back on it, I think that person might have been trying to kill me!) [shocked]

Seriously, I guess I should tell my doctor about my tuna/salmon addiction. I've been having a lot of health problems lately...and might ought to have my mercury level checked or something.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by WyoMom on October 02, 2005 01:51 AM
At my doctor's office they have posters up talking about the dangers of tuna and other fish products. Very scary stuff. Good luck on the cutting back, ain't gonna be easy.

Nancy
by peppereater on October 02, 2005 01:54 AM
Oh man! I hope the mercury isn't causing your health problems. I know what you mean about smoked salmon. Yummmm! As for your doctor, I find that doctors are often dismissive of any ideas their patients have about their own health. I hope yours isn't that way, and I hope you've sought help about whatever problems you've had. Best of luck with it.
Doesn't it suck that our food supply is so messed up? I'm glad I love gardening...at least I have control over some of what I eat.
by weezie13 on October 02, 2005 01:57 AM
How come they include some tuna fish in
WIC checks for mothers who are nursing????

Just outta curiousity???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by mimi_inthegarden on October 28, 2005 10:42 AM
I use the Italian seasoned bread crumbs in mine and some OLD BAY. fry them real slow in EVOO. yummmm. its whats for dinner tomorrow. with this awsome cheesecake I just took out of the oven.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: SALAD DRESSING RECIPES| Next thread: salsa recipe »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: