The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anyone have a problem with mint?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Amber J on March 27, 2006 06:12 PM
Am I just an idiot, or is mint really hard to grow??

I am on my third packet of mint. Any tips?
by tkhooper on March 27, 2006 07:40 PM
You want cuttings for mint not seeds. But if you do try seeds remember mint likes to stay moist.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 27, 2006 08:44 PM
Amber,
Can you tell us what you've been doing for your
mint?
ie; dirt *kinds*, how you're watering?, light,
where you're starting them?
What kind of mint? Peppermint, Catnip, ???????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Amber J on March 27, 2006 09:15 PM
Spearmint the first 2 times, this packet just says "mint". How do I do it from cuttings??

I just used Miracle Gro, then watered like normal, nothing special.
by weezie13 on March 27, 2006 10:03 PM
Amber just use some plain dirt...
Mint is a form of a wild plant and resents
nice/fertilized dirt..
just find some garden dirt and mix in a little
bit of potting soil..

and don't really cover it too deep..
a rule of thumb is 2 times deep as wide as
the seed...and the seed in the "wild" wouldn't
even really be covered... the momma plant would
just drop it or flop it on the ground as it dries/dies...so that's how I would go by..

And if worst comes to worse.... plant it outside..
on some dirt right out on the ground..

Please keep us posted, would love to know if you get success!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by pagarden on March 27, 2006 10:06 PM
i would just buy a plant if i were you this year. then you'll have it for the rest of your life! if you have a friend who has a plant just wait and take a few inches, pull all but a few top leaves off and set it in a little water for a few days till you see roots growing. then just plant it in dirt and it'll grow. that's how i got mine!
by tkhooper on March 28, 2006 04:07 AM
Yep that's how you do cuttings. The only thing I would add is not to keep it in direct light while it is rooting.

But buying the plant is the next best option if noone has the kind that you want near by.

Mint mutates so what you get from the seed isn't nearly as nice as what you get with a cutting or a plant that you buy from a reputable garden nursery.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 28, 2006 04:32 AM
Mint !! I love mint ! All mint ! Any mint !
I keep my mints in separate pots, one mint per pot.
I use potting soil, lotsa sun and lotsa water.
Mint never seems to want food but I give them a drink of Miracle Gro once in awhile.
When they make it known that they have outgrown their pots, I divide and replant.
None of my (very wise) neighbors wants a division, but the mint makes the trash smell nice until trash pick up day ! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Sorathien on March 28, 2006 12:36 PM
we have a pot that has been growing mint for about 5 years. we just leave it outside in bright sun, water it alot, and it comes back every year after dying back in the winter, nice healthy minty-ness!
by Amber J on March 29, 2006 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the tips! My husband is Iranian so I will be requiring quite a lot of mint! [Smile]
by pagarden on March 29, 2006 09:35 PM
don't worry- it will grow and gorw and pretty soon you might even have too much! LOL my mom used to grow hers under the water faucet- the dripping kept it happy in hot south florida. i remember as a kid going and picking the biggest leaves we could find, my brother and i dipping them in melted chocolate, putting them in the freezer for a few minutes and then eating them as a snack! LOL
by patches1414 on March 30, 2006 03:37 AM
Actually, I started my mint from a plant. The only problem I had with my mint was that it became too invasive [Frown] and I had to dig it up. Now I grow it in a container. [Smile]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Bestofour on March 30, 2006 07:35 AM
I have peppermint in a pot that stays outside all the time. I thought it would smell great by the back door but unless you touch it you can't smell it.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Amber J on March 31, 2006 04:04 PM
You know, I have this sprawling bush under my outdoor faucet, and it smells just like mint. Leaves look that way too. I wonder ...
by joclyn on April 07, 2006 01:23 PM
if is smells minty when you brush against the leaves, then it's probably mint.

if you've already got some growing, you really shouldn't need to do new plants. it spreads like wildfire!!

i've seen it growing in one spot and send shoots out that pop up 5 feet away after going under the concrete walkway!
by Amber J on April 08, 2006 05:53 PM
It's just that I imagine in my head that mint grows like an herb - short and soft, etc. This plant is sprawling and uninviting, and looks really .... bushy, I guess. Plus it's got more branches than stems. I'm just really reluctant to stick it in my mouth!
by weezie13 on April 08, 2006 07:46 PM
Have you posted a picture of this Amber??

I love mint, can't get enough of it, wish I had fresh mint alllllll year long...

I read somewhere's, *and I can't give you the entire amount of info cause it's lost in my brain~drain*, but mint is one of the only herbs that can cross over the barriers in your brain..
something about a natural substance in the mint,
which is good for you and your brain, and it can pass thru and get results...*and get this, the good results is for memory..*
haaaaahahahaha..

Like I said, wish I could have it growing year round here...

If I can ever find where I heard/read it, I will definately post it here....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Amber J on April 09, 2006 12:02 AM
Sounds like you're not getting enough mint! hahaha

I just replaced my camera, as soon as it arrives I will post a pic!
by weezie13 on April 09, 2006 03:31 AM
Don'tchya know it!!! hehehehee

Great, lookin' forward to those pictures..
Keep us posted... [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on April 09, 2006 04:37 AM
I can see that about mint, Weezie. I always feel happier and clearer when I close my eyes and breathe in mint. I bruise the leaves a bit first, just a gentle rub. Heavenly !
Could you grow mints year round in a sunny windowsill? Or even in water in a vase? I've done that.
I admit that peppermint is happier in soil, but it does stay alive in water. I'd give it a sip of food once in awhile.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 09, 2006 04:55 AM
Ahhhhhhhh that might work, If I had
any descent window space..

The only window space I have isn't accessable
and the kids would just mutilate anything I
had there if I did...
I have one tiny window in my kitchen [Mad] [Frown] [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [perplexed] [tears] and it's hard to access it,
#1 cause I'm so short, and #2 cause I have blinds on it, cause there's people that walk right there walking up stairs [Frown] [dunno]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on April 09, 2006 06:09 AM
Awwwwww...... The kids are more important than mints ! More fun too ! [Love] Hi, kids ! [wavey]

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 09, 2006 09:52 AM
Mine are alot of fun... We do alottttt of stuff together...
And they are little for just so long...
I figure I got time later to do what I need to do..

But they don't like eating my mint in the backyard..
They do try it, which I think is half the battle.. but they end up spitting it out...

I can't believe that they are my kids,
I grew up on eatin' wild peppermint and spearmint.. geesh!
(*they must have been switched in the nursery*) [shocked] [Wink] [Big Grin] [lala]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on April 09, 2006 10:39 AM
[Love] [grin]

-
 -
by Herbyann on April 09, 2006 03:45 PM
[Smile] OH yes totally invasive. You can put it in fairly lg. pots and sink then within a few inches of the ground. They love the drippy faucet spot. If you grow different kinds I suggest ye keep them in seperate pots and deadhead the blooms before they go to seed. They cross breed easily and ye wind up with yuck. I like t chew on mint but like the kids I spit it out after a bit! lol

[Smile] Herby Hugs,
Anne [muggs]
by Amber J on April 11, 2006 06:07 AM
What does that mean, "deadhead the blooms"?
by melcon6 on April 11, 2006 08:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Amber J:
What does that mean, "deadhead the blooms"?
Amber, it means to pick or pinch off the spent (dying) blossoms. Two reasons to do this , one is to promote more flowers on certain plants, usually annuals. Second reason is to prevent them from going to seed so you don't end up with way too many babies. Oh yeah, third reason to deadhead is it will look prettier! [flower]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Amber J on April 11, 2006 05:26 PM
Ahould I do this with my strawberries?
by melcon6 on April 11, 2006 05:37 PM
Strawberries???? I thought we were talking mint??

I have heard that some do deadhead their strawberries but I never have. I guess the idea behind it is to pinch off all but one strawberry per plant to get a bigger berry??? Doesn't make sense to me.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by eClaire on April 15, 2006 07:39 AM
my mint became invasive too...I am still finding roots and sprouts in the area it was planted - definitely suggest using a container!

Claire
by SpringFever on April 20, 2006 09:57 PM
I planted some by my pond , and it is Spreadding like crazy... For now I like it but I am sure I will be chopping it off soon

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by joclyn on April 21, 2006 10:01 AM
mint is invasive!! and once it gets well-established, it's hard to get rid of! it sends out suckers underground so, even if you get the main plant, those suckers are still there and you'll have more popping up a foot (or more) away.

unless you've got an area that you don't care if it's overtaken or if it's blocked off (surrounded by concrete) you should plant mint by putting it in a pot and then putting the pot in the ground.

well. since you didn't know that, you'll need to keep an eye on it and when you see it starting to grow in a spot you don't want it to, you'll need to pull it up. you could try putting some kind of plastic barrier into the ground to try to keep it confined.

there's a black plastic edger thing that might be helpful. comes in 20 foot sections and can be cut to fit and is flexible so you can make a circle if you need to. easy to install - just place it and press or hammer into the soil.
by LoriB on April 25, 2006 12:18 PM
I have trouble getting catnip to sprout from seeds. I've been using nice potting soil, so that may be the problem. Should I try to straite the little seeds, with sandpaper or something? I have one small plant, but it doesn't provide enough catnip, especially if some roaming cat finds it. Thanks!
by weezie13 on April 25, 2006 01:25 PM
We have catnip out doors,
and it re~seeds prolifically....

How many seeds do you have??
(can you get more seeds?)

Try an experiment..
Do some indoors...
And throw some outside,
in a couple of different spots...

It likes plain dirt/soil..
Nothing fancy..
Ours grew in a gravel driveway!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by snapdragon on May 07, 2006 10:53 AM
Be careful with planting mint outdoors! I believe most types reseed easily or spread from rhisomes, so they can take over your yard in a season (though it makes mowing a more pleasant smelling affair!) Make sure to either dig deep and surround with stone or some kind of barrier, or keep it in a container if you don't want it everywhere!

Snapdragon
by Deborah L. on May 07, 2006 11:04 AM
Good tips on the mint's invasive properties.
I love, love, love mint, but I keep it in clay pots.
The pots circle my wildlife water feature, which is just a very big blue ceramic plant saucer.
But it looks so pretty with the mint trailing in the water. My little patio water feature gives me alot of joy.

-
 -
by snapdragon on May 07, 2006 03:21 PM
Deborah,

Would love to see a picture of your water feature! Sounds really cute and like something I could do on a rented property without being too invasive.

Snapdragon
by Deborah L. on May 07, 2006 06:43 PM
Snap, I don't have a digital camera and a scanner and all that. Wish I did.
But I can describe the water thing in more detail for you.
I rent too, a condo in California, and that's why I'm a container gardener. I have a really big patio and that's all.
If you go to the garden center, with the pots are various sizes of ceramic saucers. I chose blue to make it look like a pond. Green would look good too.
I just circle the saucer with four 6 inch pots planted with peppermint, spearmint, maidenhair fern and an ivy.
Four pots make a half circle, which leaves the front open for the squirrels and rabbits.
It is really pretty, and if you get a 13 inch saucer, sometimes you can see the sky reflected in the water.
It really gives me a feeling of happiness, and what a deal, all this for a few dollars !
I hope you'll make one too !

-
 -
by snapdragon on May 08, 2006 04:33 AM
Sounds great! Home Depot here I come!

Snapdragon
by Deborah L. on May 08, 2006 04:55 AM
Let me know what plants you get and how it turns out !

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 08, 2006 05:06 AM
I meant to add that you can also put small pretty stones in the water.
I have a flat chunk of amethyst (my birthstone) in the water off to one side, for butterflies to land on. It's off to one side to leave room for the birds to bathe.
So far I have never had a butterfly, but I hope to.
The whole thing is really great.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: