The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

? Can I start Cinnamon Basil from a cutting?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on March 22, 2006 10:52 PM
I know I put the entire post in the title. Probably not the right way to do this. But someone mentioned to me this week that they thought it could be done. And that would save me from having to figure out something else to give the women that won the plants in the auction.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 23, 2006 01:00 PM
Plants such as basil, oregano, lavender, rosemary, thyme and sage root easily from shoot tip cuttings. Take the cutting at a node on the stem (where the leaves attach), because this is where root formation is more abundant. Remove the lower leaves and insert the cut end of the stem into moist soil mix, vermiculite or perlite. Cover the container with plastic to help increase humidity. If the plastic lays on the foliage, it can rot. Place the pot in a warm, shaded location.

Some herbs, including mint, lemon balm and thyme propagate easily by layering. Bend a stem to the ground, remove leaves from that stem section, cover the section with soil, and water gently. The new plant will be nourished by the mother plant until it is ready to survive on its own. Leave about 6 inches of the upper portion of the stem above ground and upright. If necessary, stake stems to hold them in place, or put a rock or other heavy object on top of the mound. To help stimulate faster rooting, cut a wound just below a node on the stem portion to be buried. Once rooted, the new plant can be severed from the mother plant and potted for indoor growing.

-
 -
by Triss on March 23, 2006 01:27 PM
I have also been successful with cuttings from basil Tammy! Good luck with it!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tkhooper on March 23, 2006 10:01 PM
Thanks you two. You give me hope.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: