The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chia herb garden Q

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: ChestNut trees| Next thread: Chia herb garden Q »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 1
by ChristinaC on February 28, 2006 09:50 AM
I didn't think most seeds need light to germinate. I always have mine in a dark place until I see green, then put them under the light? [dunno]

-
 -
by comfrey on February 28, 2006 10:28 AM
I was refering to her av's and also the seedlings..the lamp would be better then none, the light would warm up the soil a small amount for faster germination.

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 28, 2006 10:34 AM
Comfrey, I'd stick to doing the Chia Garden,
for now..
I'm hopin' she'll (*FlowerNewbie*) post the AV one in the house plants..
**That way, if anyone's doing some research into
those Chia gardens, they won't get sidetracked with the AV questions and answers and get a tad confused, especially if they are new to gardening..*
Know what I mean?? [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [flower] [kissies]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on March 01, 2006 02:53 AM
Most house plants are tropical and are not going to take well to cool temperatures I don't think. You might try making a terrium for them. Bill has a wonderful page on how to build them and how they work. He even has a page on which plants to choose for one. That's all I can think of that might be useful to you. Good luck with your indoor gardening.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 01, 2006 06:05 AM
Hi guys, got my camera today! I posted pics of my herbs and other plants in;

Houseplants -
Topic - Photos & Q&A of my plants (Av's, Coleus, Herbs, Roses & Jade)

Come check it out!

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by comfrey on March 01, 2006 08:18 AM
Ok I looked at your herbs....They need more light, other then that they look pretty good.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 12:11 AM
Oh no... my seeds aren't doing to good...

Here the ones that sprouted

I had placed these under my window sill once sprouted

From left to right...

Sweet Marjoram - had sprouted a small amount then quickly fell over

Cilantro - Sprouted quickly and grew pretty well... then this last weekend came home and all the plants were just leaned over laying on the cup - Will these be able to come back or should I just call my losses?

Sweet Basil - Sprouted quite a few but again just started to fall over...

-

Unsprouted

Chives, Curled Cress and Thyme - None sprouted and the thyme seems to be growing a mold garden...

-

I bought 4 new seed packets... Just wandering which four of these plants are most ready for the garbage? Do any of these even have hope?

Also, I have root promoting potting soil, african violet soil and perlite... Out of these what would you say I should use for my new seeds?

The new seeds a bought are Thyme, Chives, Basil and parsley.

Anybody know where I could get a good deal on a heating mat?

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 12:17 AM
by the way it has been 20 days since planting seeds...

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 08, 2006 12:20 AM
First, don't get discouraged..
And remember alot has to do with sunlight..
(for the one's that have sprouted, when they
fell over, it's because of the light, and they are reaching for it...)

I know Christina has said how she keeps a light on them, right over the top of them, and only moves it up a bit when they start to grow..
*that keeps them shorter, cause they're not reaching and stretching to get to the light and
makes the stems stronger, which helps the plant stay healthy*

The chive seeds I know like it cooler???

They can survive outdoors in clumps and will reseed it's self prolifically if you don't cut the flower heads off...
I started out with one clump, I think I have 8 clumps now...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 12:34 AM
So they fell over to reach the light? Do I have to have the artificial light? Is the light from the window to much or to little?

My goal with these is to have them pretty much stay by my window sill... till I move to somewhere that I have outdoor space... Just want enough to have when I'd like to use for cooking and to have to look at on my window... Will this not work?

Would you say the ones that fell over will stand up again or are they done?

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 08, 2006 01:02 AM
This time of year, yes, to probably needing the artificial light..
The winter sun is just isn't enough to give a seed a proper growing amount of sunshine, it's not as strong or bright...(I don't think... especially up North here)

I am not that firimilar with growing indoors,
*as I know I don't have the window space, and don't torture myself..* so, I'm going to leave the final say so on those that DO grow seeds indoors..

But I am answering in the concept of plants in general,
quote:
Would you say the ones that fell over will stand up again or are they done?

that when a plant is weakened, it sets the plant up for possible failure...
*Not saying that they will, but stay positive,
but know what can happen..*

When a plant is weakened, it sends out signals to the bad buggies,saying, I'm weakened, come get me..

To my basic knowledge of plants, you need to fix the situation or they will continue to weaken...
Plus, to me, there seems to be too many to the
container.. *which this part always breaks my heart, is to thin them out to say, the strongest 3 or 4 (for that sized container, than may be too many)*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 01:10 AM
They are pretty well done in I think. Even if they survived they would be very weak plants. What direction is your window facing? South would be best.

Anything else and I would definitely invest in a "under the shelf florescent light" and a shelf with the rods that allow you to move it up and down.

That way you could keep the tops of the plants within 2 inches of the light. Just screw the rods into the sides of your cabinets on either side of your window. That's if yours is built the way most kitchens are. My suggestion if you decide to do that is to double rod each side.

There is no way to have to much light in your zone for herbs. Most are originally from the mediteranian area and can take full sun and a fair amount of heat too. They will even like the humidity when you open the diswasher, boil eggs or anything else that makes the kitchen down right muggy lol.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 01:14 AM
So would you say that to start all of these plants over is a good idea... Also, if I can't afford the light right now should I not bother at all until I can?

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 08, 2006 01:22 AM
I wouldn't start over. I'd transplant the ones that have gotten spindly and plant them much deeper...deep enough where they're not falling over. This will work if you get the light.

Those lights are really not expensive...you'd only need a small two foot one...cost maybe 10$. Perhaps you already have one in your house somewhere?? Have a look around and see if any are fluorescent.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 01:27 AM
really... cool... I don't have any flourescent... I bought a plant light bulb the other day and have it sitting next to my miniture roses but it's just in the lamp - does it have to be facing over plants to have a good effecT?

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 08, 2006 01:30 AM
Yes...the plants need to be sitting directly under the light within 2 inches or else they'll stretch and go spindly on you again.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 08, 2006 01:36 AM
This pic isn't the best but it's the only one I could find that will give you some sort of an idea. You can see how close my herbs and veggies are to the light...as they grew, I just lowered them always keeping them about 2 inches. I think there's dill, cilantro, and tomatoes in this pic.

-

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 02:45 AM
Don't replant until you can get a florescent is my suggestion. They are really very cheap. I got a four foot shop light that holds two 4 foot T12 florescent tubes for 5 dollars at lowe's and the bulbs were 97 cents each at wal-mart. The type I'm thinking for your use would be the ones that have an adhesive back on them and you can stick them right to your cabinet. They are alittle more expensive than the shop lights but not way expensive unless you start to get fancy. I'm not at all fancy. lol

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 02:49 AM
Fancy...? Any flourescent bulbs work - like you don't need "plant" bulbs?

Also. I do not have that typical kitchen cabinet sink window. My house is about 100 years old and I have sort of a galley kitchen with a window on the end... plus another dining sort kitchen that has the stove, fridge and table... So my light would have to be attached to the window it self... which is pretty tall... any suggestions?

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 08, 2006 03:48 AM
I have a plain ole shop work light in the
basement for some of my houseplants for winter,
so just a plain one is fine...

I believe theres a time limit, like 14~17 hours
on and the rest off...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on March 08, 2006 03:53 AM
At Walmart a shop light fixture is $8 and 2 bulbs for it is another $2...This is a 48" light. Light is the only thing that will save or grow your plants. Christina is right...repot...I would repot only a few of each of the seedlings, plant them deeper then they are now...this will help with the spindly stems and also allow it to put off new/more root system. The ones that have not sprouted...if you see no mold, then just give them alittle more time...The conditions are not perfect in your house, but that doesn't mean they are not going to sprout, so I would wait and see. The ones that have not sprouted yet, you should move to the warmest place in your house...Does your bathroom have a separate heater in there??? Maybe that would be more ideal for getting the seeds sprouted. Actually you are doing good [thumb] ...You are asking questions and you got seeds to sprout, so this is half of the battle won!

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 08, 2006 03:57 AM
Thanks - guess it's time for another trip to old wally world then - thanks for the encouragement everyone... man I love this place... Good thing I work from home cause I would be having some problems otherwise (I wouldn't be able to check in so often)

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 10, 2006 11:43 AM
ok new update... I've got to admit that my cilantro has been doing much better... From completely lying down they now seem to be slowly picking themselves back up... I've even got some of the extras leafage at the top of some and new seeds are sprouting... My basil also seems to be doing alright now also, the ones that did not completely die that is...

-

What I think may of happened to cause the drastic change before was the pot was completely dry from over the weekend. I've been spraying the pots with a spray bottle now and it seems to be drying out about twice a day. I'm not drenching the plants twice a day just misting till top is moist. But when I go back later it looks all dried up... So I water again... perhaps the window that it is in cause the ones on top of the fridge are still moist from planting the seeds... weird huh?

Question about the one who said to separate and plant individually and to put deeper... well first off the "chia" planting book said it was okay that they are in the same pot? Also if I were to repot I'd imagine it would be very hard because they are very thin grass like stems and to be able to get that thing to stand up in a new pot would be very difficult, not to mention where am I going to get that many pots or counter space... I'd like to keep them in the sill if at all possible... one container per herb. hmmm... did I misinterpret what you meant? Help?

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 10, 2006 01:00 PM
ok new update, again...

So after wondering back over to my herbs I decided to try an experiment. I didn't want to attempt to transplant them all and then have them all die - especially since they seem to be perking up so... I tried a sample. found a pot put the leaves that seemed to be falling over the most out of the other pot (boy they had some pretty long roots). Filled the pot with soil. Found a fondue sticker to make little wholes into the dirt stuck the plants in as far as they would go comfortably and pushed the dirt back in around them. When I was done I light misted and put on the shelf... Then in the original pot pot a little extra dirt on the side that seemed to be falling over... not to much though cause it's very hard to place with all the plants in the way without knock over more. In the end there aren't any touching the pot any longer! So.. I'll keep you update on the progress of both....

-

-

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 10, 2006 01:03 PM
oh by the way... yes that is my sons baby spoon in the pic that I used to scoop the dirt in. Wasn't an easy job very time consuming detail work... Don't think man hands could've handled the job... Just cause pushing the dirt around each little stem was tedious..

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 10, 2006 10:52 PM
They're looking good!!! [thumb] [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on March 11, 2006 07:49 AM
I agree your plants are looking better...That many seedlings in a small pot like that is not good no matter what the chia booklet says...They can not all grow in a crowded area like that, some will be choked out (die in other words). It will also make them weaker, since they are competing for water, light and nutrients.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 11, 2006 07:51 AM
What'd ya think of the mini one a started?

-
 -
by comfrey on March 11, 2006 07:58 AM
The ones in the little clay pot look good...be sure to keep the plants about 2 inches under the light...use something (box, books, blocks, plastic container, a bowl or anything) that will raise it up to the light to the right level under the light and as it grows, you can move the pots down from the light.

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 11, 2006 11:45 PM
One thing that real gardeners can do that I can't is thin plants. And transplanting them when they are spaced close together is also not easy for me. I guess I'm a tender-hearted clutz lol. So even thought the directions may say that you can plant things close together what I shoot for is the mature spacing at the time I plant. That's why either the peat pellets, or egg cartons or something else that give each seed it's own space is better in my opinion. But that's just me because I have so much trouble transplanting and thinning. I still end up with clumps of plants that have very tinny seeds like petunias, closia and others. With those I lose more plants than I get because I just can't bring myself to thin them. Next year I definitely plan to try adding sand to the seeds and then spreading them. I hope that technique works. I hate loosing plants.

-
 -
by bakingfool on March 14, 2006 08:23 AM
Hello gardening friends! I am back here after a couple of weeks of silence. I was waiting for my fresh set of Chia herb garden I started on March 1st to sprout and boy, did they sprout! Well the only one that hasnt is the Chives but it is coming from the inside of the dirt so I am sure it will come out soon. Anyway, can somebody enlighten me about the Dill? It was the fastest of the five that sprouted. The stems now measure around 5 inches but they are so thin they all slouch on the edge of the clay pot. They are also all tangled up, I feel like picking up a hairbrush and brush them, lol. I wonder what can I do to make them stand up. Please don't tell me to transplant them one stem at a time, like tkhooper, I have a pair of clutz hands, I will never be a surgeon. The rest of the five, seems to be doing pretty good, the Basil, Marjoram, Parsley and Cilantro. I will take a camera and post some pics in the next couple of days. I am just a little embarrassed to show off my Dill at the moment. Any suggestion would be appreciated. [Love] A.
by FlowerNewbie on March 14, 2006 08:36 AM
Little update guys... they ones that I transplanted in the clay pot all died except one... won't be trying that again for a while. The ones still in the white plactic container all are doing great! The are growing large varigated leaves on the once small double leaves... Pics coming later

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 14, 2006 09:28 AM
Can I ask a question???

When you transplanted them,
how did you handle them??

By the stem or the leaves???

And when you transplanted them,
how did you put the roots into the soil?

Did you have the soil in the pot, and stick
a stick in and make hole, slip the root in and
slightly push in the soil?

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by bakingfool on March 15, 2006 10:00 AM
Hello friends, as promised, here the pics of my baby herbs. The one on the left, my Dill, is the one I am concerned about. They just cannot stand up. I also took a picture of my window to give you guys an idea on the brightness (or lack thereof) of my living room. I always have the blinds partially as the reflection of the ocean and the glass are glaring. How do I make my Dill stand up?? [Frown]

-

-
Any suggestion is very much appreciated. [Love] A

by weezie13 on March 15, 2006 10:21 AM
Hey Bakingfool,
Can you resize your photos'???
Anddddddddd then when you post them into the
IMAGE BUTTON, delete or back space on the
extra blue http://..
There's a bunch that can help you.. if you need more help!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by FlowerNewbie on March 15, 2006 10:33 AM
quote:
Did you have the soil in the pot, and stick a stick in and make hole, slip the root in and slightly push in the soil?
yep... and they all are now officially dead.

Here the ones I transplanted...

-

Here the ones I left alone... They are growing pretty rapidly at this point...

-

I think at least for this batch I'm gonna leave well enough alone and let them be tight in there. I just bought 2 grow lights and I'm gonna start some of the other that died or never sprouted again with the lights and see how they do... I just couldn't bear the thought of starting 1 seed... That's going to be hard for me [tears]

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 15, 2006 10:36 AM
Ohh.. baking fool... I can't see your pics yet... but if you go back on this topic a couple you'll see my cilantra about a week ago you'll see they were leaning over to... I added a little extra dirt (carefully) and it gave them the exxtra support they needed... I also mist them know instead of water about once a day (which for me isn't to much cause it dries out pretty fast). I think before I was letting them dry out to much... whatever it was the seem pretty happy right now...

-
 -
by bakingfool on March 15, 2006 01:34 PM
Hello friends, as promised, here the pics of my baby herbs. The one on the left, my Dill, is the one I am concerned about. They just cannot stand up. I also took a picture of my window to give you guys an idea on the brightness (or lack thereof) of my living room. As you can see, my herbs are sitting right by my balcony door but I always have the blinds partially closed as the reflection of the ocean and the glass are glaring. How do I make my Dill stand up?? [Frown]

Also, it's been almost two weeks since I set them up and I am hoping my chives will sprout soon. According to the Chia handbook, chives takes the most time to germinate, but isnt two weeks such a long time?? Should I stop waiting and give up?? Too bad, chives is my favorite spice. It is the one on the right.

-

-

-

Any suggestion is very much appreciated. [Love] A
by SpringFever on March 15, 2006 09:57 PM
I was just reading that if a plant gets tall and spindly it needs more light...
The other herbs look great... myself I would try to stake it up LOL that is just me though

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by FlowerNewbie on March 15, 2006 10:31 PM
That room from the pic does look pretty dark... I have mine sitting right on the window sill and people are telling me that's not enough light, sooo I'm assuming they will tell you the same thing they told me which is get them under a florescent light....

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 16, 2006 05:08 AM
Ok got my shelf together with lights - I got the "grow light" kind and it was only $9 each... So here's my shelf...

-

...and here's a close up of the herbs and sprouts...

-

-

What do you think...

I'm gonna start the other herbs today or tom., any last minute tips on what to do before I do?

Also I'm using that ugly tupperwear to stack to herbs to get closer to the light any ideas for other more attractive stands... since the is in my home and I'd like it to be functional and adorable...

and I know this is probably not the right place to ask but since ya'll are the ones that told me about the 2" away thing, does that go for all sprouts (including the coleus)?

-
 -
by bakingfool on March 16, 2006 11:56 AM
Thanks for those who answered my question. If we would not open our blinds due to the fact that the hot sun outside warms up our home (I am married to a polar bear you know). Could I just take my baby dill outside?? [dunno] But we have full hot sun 9 hours a day and that Guam sun is pretty hot. At this early stage, I am afraid it might do more harm to my baby dill than good. Any suggestion is appreciated. [Love] A.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ChestNut trees| Next thread: Chia herb garden Q »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: