The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peony Planting 101

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: peony pests| Next thread: peony problem »
Back to Thread index
by pcgrav on May 13, 2005 02:32 AM
O.K. [teacher] Here's what I have learned about Planting Peonies in the last few hours!
( Actually I did some research on them) [grin] [thinker]

The best time to plant peonies is in the fall, after their roots have been divided. Like most perennials, they require well-prepared soil and plenty of light. But peonies make special demands. Each plant has one or more "eyes", sometimes called growth buds, the pinkish protrusions that grow on the crown. For the plant to bloom, the eyes need below-freezing temperatures for a minimum of six weeks. They should be planted just below the surface (in the south) to 2 inches below the surface (in the north); the soil insulates the roots, and in a warm climate, too thick a layer of soil will prevent the necessary chilling.

1) To plant a peony, first dig a hole 18 to 20 inches deep and 20 inches wide. Fill the hole to within 8 inches of the top with a mixture of composted cow manure and garden soil. Add a 1 inch layer of plain soil (to separate the roots from direct contact with the manure, which would burn them) and then a 6 inch layer of soil mixed with about four trowels full of bone meal. Firm with your hand. Allow 3 feet between holes; peonies grow large and need room.

2) Place the peony root on the top soil layer so that the eyes, or buds, are below the surface of the ground—immediately below the surface if you live in the south, where winters are mild; up to two inches if you live in the north. Add or remove soil to get the depth correct. Spread the roots evenly over the soil. Fill the hole with more soil, tamp it down and water it.
Alright all you Peony Lovers-- there ya go-- HAPPY PLANTING!!! [grin] [flower] [grin]

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by Bill on May 13, 2005 02:45 AM
by pcgrav on May 13, 2005 03:01 AM
Thanx Bill,
The info I posted was a short piece from a gardening book I have. I was actually looking up re-hot-poker when I stumbled across the peony info. I thought I would post it for TK-- I never thought to look for it on the site itself [nutz] Any way -- its good you posted because what I had didn't go into caring for them after planting... Thanks again...

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: peony pests| Next thread: peony problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: