The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Garden not dead yet

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: garden needs rain....badly| Next thread: garden ornaments »
Back to Thread index
by Woodland Garden on November 26, 2006 02:41 PM
Here are a couple pictures I took on Thanksgiving. I have two cages full of lettuce in fantastic condition and bug free! I covered the cages with polyester fabric in October to protect the plants from frost. They act like mini greenhouses. I have several great looking broccoli heads out there and some beets. November has been on the mild side but I hit 26F twice in October.

-
 -
by Patty S on November 26, 2006 05:03 PM
Good going! [thumb] If I'd have planted lettuce when our heat died down, I could be enjoying 100% home grown salads right now! (I'm making myself a memo to do that next year.)

Although tomatoes aren't much for cool weather like lettuce is, I wonder if I could have helped mine hang on a bit longer by tenting them like you did with your lettuce. [dunno]

This is what one of my tomato plants looked like 2 days before Thanksgiving, when I finally picked them all & brought them in the house.
 -

It didn't start getting chilly here (below 50 during the day) until November, but we had lots of rain so the tomatoes were splitting & needed to come off the vines. Now they're in a box on my kitchen counter, where they're turning red & getting put into the frige.

My peppers have been indoors for several weeks now, & are doing great. I still have beets left in the ground that I'm pulling up as I want to cook them, & finally have green onions coming on like crazy! I thought I planted them too late or something, as they didn't do anything until the weather cooled off! [nutz]

Let us know how long you can keep that lettuce going in their little shelters!  -

-
 -
by chenno on November 26, 2006 11:28 PM
Nice [thumb] nothing like it, make it last as long as you can, looks good!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by tkhooper on November 27, 2006 12:52 AM
Loving the lettuce houses. Hope I get a place where I can do that.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on November 27, 2006 03:20 AM
Now that is a cute term-lettuce houses !
Smart idea too !
I like the idea of going out to get lettuce from under their little houses.
FUN !

-
 -
by glenda on November 27, 2006 04:37 AM
I too have lettuce still growing in the garden under the sprouts.

-
by Woodland Garden on November 27, 2006 06:04 AM
About the maters'-Last year I built a crude cage around the tomatoes using clear plastic, wire and
tree saplings I cut down and made into posts. My tomatoe plants survived untill thanksgiving when we got a brutal arctic front that brought true winter. I didn't finish the last tomato untill christmas! [grin]

This year the tomatoes have bad spot blight so I didn't bother. Down to my last three from the garden which isn't bad all things considered.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: garden needs rain....badly| Next thread: garden ornaments »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: