The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chinese Yellow Banana

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Chinese Witch Hazel (Hamamelis mollis)| Next thread: chipmunks »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on November 14, 2006 05:19 AM
Can you believe that Thompson and Morgan want 8 dollars for 4 Banana 'Musa Lasiocarpa' seeds? I mean it will grow in my zone and the flower is fantastic and it only gets 6 feet tall so I could probably even have it on the porch maybe. But 8 dollars for 4 seeds. I just can't do it. I guess I'll put it on my seed exhange string and hope someone has it.

-
 -
by markr on November 14, 2006 06:48 AM
I paid £8,00 last year for 5 cucumber seeds from T&M no chance of finding them on the seed exchange [Eek!]

-
Mark
by tkhooper on November 14, 2006 09:00 AM
is that 8 pounds or 800 pounds euro? Not that either one would be in my price range for 5 seeds. What kind of cucumbers were they? I'm very curious.

I know I spent a premium on some seeds from whatnot.com last year and I promised myself that I wouldn't do that again. So now I search diligently for seeds and get the best deal possible before I spend money on seeds.

I would really like those banana trees. I'm just wondering how long it takes the trees to produce seeds and then how many seeds they might produce in a year. If it's like peonies that take forever to mature and then really don't produce that many seeds per plant maybe the price is reasonable. I don't know enough about plants to be able to decide those things yet.

-
 -
by markr on November 14, 2006 09:13 AM
8 pounds, they were called tiffany, they are in this years cat.
like you say the seeds are a lot of money, but if they dont germinate send them back and they will replace them.
i just looked at the flower on that banana, and its a bit special! its caught my eye a few times [lala]
just call it a christmas present [Wink] [Big Grin]

-
Mark
by tkhooper on November 14, 2006 09:17 AM
lol not on a fixed income lol. I was thinking about seeing if a group of gardeners would each like to buy one packet of the expensive seeds with the idea of harvesting the seeds and sharing them with the other members of the group. But of course it depends on how long the plant takes to produce seeds and how many seeds each one produces so there is a lot of research that needs to be done before I decide whether it's even worth promoting the idea.

-
 -
by markr on November 14, 2006 09:27 AM
good luck with that one [Wink]

-
Mark

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Chinese Witch Hazel (Hamamelis mollis)| Next thread: chipmunks »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: