The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Osage orange correction

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Osage Orange| Next thread: Osage Orange Trees From Seed »
Back to Thread index
by obywan59 on November 05, 2006 01:49 AM
I just received a PM from a new member asking about my "osage orange marmalade" I had posted about back in January. After re-reading the topic, I realized I had made a mistake. I had actually made the marmalade out of Trifoliate orange (poncirus trifoliata), not Osage orange (maclura pomifera). Osage orange is not considered suitable for human consumption, although it is used as an insect repellant!

I have both of these trees, they both are citrus-like, both have thorns, and both would make excellent barrier hedge rows. Hence the confusion. This just goes to show the value of using scientific names as well as common names. [Confused]

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by roflol on November 10, 2006 01:28 PM
Darn. Now *that* would have made for some spectacular recycling brownie points in my neighborhood! Nice name, by the way, but you spelled it wrong. [Big Grin]

Terri
by roflol on November 11, 2006 06:33 AM
^
|
|

I was just giving you trouble about your first name, Terry. Don't you get it spelled wrong all the time? I know I do. Sorry, I was getting goofy last night. [nutz]

Terri
by obywan59 on November 12, 2006 12:58 AM
That's okay, I knew you were joking. At first I thought you meant "obywan", but then I saw your name. [Big Grin]

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Osage Orange| Next thread: Osage Orange Trees From Seed »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: