The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cedar Hill Birds

Willy's Place » Wallpaper of the Day
« Prev thread: Cecil Brunner Rose| Next thread: Cedar Hill Wildflowers »
Back to Thread index
by Bill on June 09, 2004 03:09 PM
Female Red Winged Blackbird (Agelaius phonecius) who was letting me know that the feeder was empty.
 -

Baby Red Winged Blackbird who happened to find her way into the house. After 15 minutes of hanging out in my hand (then on my foot) to recover, she rejoined her family.

-

A young, unidentified Hawk (probably a Sharp Shinned Hawk) who dropped by to check out the hunting prospects around the bird feeders.
 -

[grin]  - These are Cedar Hill birds!

-
by afgreyparrot on June 09, 2004 04:22 PM
Nice photos!!!

The photo of the baby bird on your foot is TOO cool!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by gardenmom32210 on June 09, 2004 09:58 PM
Being a bird lover,I always ADORE the bird pictures you post. The baby is so cute [flower] The hawk looks like he means business.

Karen [grin]
by <Linda LW.> on June 15, 2004 08:52 PM
Your photos are wonderful. I can hardly wait to show my husband some of these. He is a photographer also, but you have avery good eye!
by Nako on June 17, 2004 10:46 PM
omg i love all ur photos bill! I donno how you get so many photo opportunities! It takes me like a year to fill up a 24 roll of film, unless i'm at an event and taking pictures of people and stuff i'll never see again. But as for stuff like "perfect pictures" *pretty plants with just the right light on them, two cats sleeping one under another's arm, two birds holding one piece of worm etc.* I just have the hardest time getting pix of those >.<

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Bill on June 18, 2004 06:28 PM
Thank you!!! [Embarrassed]

Phoebe, if you ever get a digital camera your picture taking habits will change forever. Somehow, I have managed to take and collect 29,546 photos (2.46GB).
I realize that there is a big difference in quality between film and digital photos, but I can't even begin to think of what it would have cost to develop and print all of them from film, especially since only 2 or 3% of them will ever be good enough to show to anyone...

As to finding the perfect subjects, setting and light.... My camera is never far from me at home, and I never leave home without it... When the opportunity becomes available to get a great picture, you have to be ready, because you may never get the same chance again.

I walk around the gardens every day (at least once) looking for new things to photograph. Sometimes I will take a dozen or more of shots of the same flower and then come back a second time when the lighting is different. I usually try the same image using several different camera settings as well... If I'm lucky, I'll get one picture that is "good".

This system seems to work well enough for flowers and waterfalls, but birds and critters seldom stick around for re-takes so I came up with a different plan for getting the photos of them...
[devil] (Don't tell anyone, but all of the birds and critters in my pictures are stuffed! shhhhhhh.....)

[Smile]

-
by afgreyparrot on June 18, 2004 07:55 PM
Bill...
Thought you were on vacation or something, so I haven't been wasting my time getting on your nerves!

Glad to see you! [Wink]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Nako on June 20, 2004 06:54 AM
*thinks* >.< i can't tell if you're joking or not lol. I donno [Razz] I love the baby hummingbird picture that you took ^.^ That thing is such a cutie!

I do have a digital camera, but unfortunately, its a 1.5 megapixil webcam, and i need my laptop in order to operate it. I don't feel like luggin a laptop around all the time [Razz]

What i do have though, is an old cannon camera with panoramic capabilities, manual and automatic focus and zoom, and a buncha other stuff. It came with 2 lenses: a 10x-45x zoom, and a 25x-80x zoom. I love the 25-80! I took pictures of my friends graduating highschool from the highest seat in the bleachers, and they're getting developed right now [Smile] But i could probably read the deploma with that lense from that distance if i tried hard enough ^.^

Its a 400 dollar camera setup (comes with a GIANT flash lol.), but my friend Ryan inherated a buncha lenses, and he couldn't get anything for them, and they were useless cuz they didn't have camera bodies for them. So he gave me 3 of em, and i went straight to Rivers in downtown Dover, and they said one of the lenses was VERY old. I forget the company, but they used to make great stuff, but went out of business. so that lense alone was worth around 250 dollars. The other lense was for archetecture, and had an offset lense feature that i couldn't figure out lol. That one was worth around 100 or so. The other lense was a standard version of the expensive lense, and was around 50 dollars.

I think they probably ripped me off a lil tiny bit, but they said they didn't have enough money to buy em off of me. But that's okay ^.^ I'm VERY happy with the camera that i got! I'm not so sure that i'll be able to take great pictures like yours though lol. I'll try to get em scanned, and show you as soon as they come out [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cecil Brunner Rose| Next thread: Cedar Hill Wildflowers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: