The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bloom Failure with Red Hot Poker

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: BloodLeaf| Next thread: bloom pictures, some stuff didn't die:) »
Back to Thread index
by oldguy on May 12, 2005 02:32 AM
Would appreciate any help anyone can give me with this problem. I'm in Zone 7b. I've had a Red Hot Poker planted for about 3 years which grows just fine and has at least tripled in size. However I cannot get any blooms from it. The bloom stalks come up and the heads form as though they are going to bloom but the flowerheads always brown out and shrivel up from the bottom of the flowerhead until, after about 4 days, the whole thing is brown and dead. The plant seems totally unaffected. I have not fertilized it since planting. Thanks.
Ken
by JV on May 12, 2005 03:00 AM
I cant help you as I know nothing about red hot poker but I do know a little fertilizer can do wonders. I use organic fertilizer also you might want to get some blood meal and bone meal they help a lot. Need some bloom stemulator. It has been awhile since I was in Birmingham But seems like I remember a nursey on Interstate 20 coming from the east. I would try there or some other nursery they can help you. From another oldguy welcome to the forum. [Big Grin]
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by pcgrav on May 12, 2005 04:29 PM
Red-Hot-Poker:
Growing Conditions:
Plant red-hot-poker in full sun in moist, well-drained sandy soil, choosing locations that are sheltered from wind. Tie up the leaves and mulch the crowns to protect plants during the winter in areas at the northern end of its range. Propagate red-hot-poker by division every three to four years in the spring, setting new plants 1&1/2 to 2 feet apart.
(Directly quoted from Time Life Gardening & Landscaping copyright 1991.)

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: BloodLeaf| Next thread: bloom pictures, some stuff didn't die:) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: