The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Endive like lettuce

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on October 10, 2006 12:58 AM
Well I just transplanted the last of this type of lettuce in the garden. It is doing terrific. I may used one of these "heads" for the lettuce on Friday. It just looks soooooo good. I'm thrilled to have finally had success with lettuce. I'm thinking about maybe growing some all winter long inside. It doesn't seem to mind the white chinese food trays at all to grow in.

-
 -
by DaisyM on October 29, 2006 07:56 AM
You are lucky if you can grow lettuce indoors. I've tried it, it grew spindly and then withered away to Veggie Heaven. I didn't have favorable lighting inside and my indoor temp was probably too warm without the proper humidity. Most lettuces prefer cooler temps.

I heard that endive lettuce is more on the bitter side. Your Topic "Endive like lettuce"
Are you referring to a type that's similar to Endive?

Happy growing..
by MrClint on October 30, 2006 10:15 AM
For a small plot of salad greens in a cold climate, consider setting up a cold frame in a sunny part of the yard. There are lots of websites covering the topic, so just do a search. I think all you need is an old window frame, a hole in the ground or bunch of cinder blocks and you're all set.

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: