The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

That ad for the giant tomato tree...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Deborah L. on October 05, 2006 07:43 AM
Has anyone ever tried that tomato tree in the magazine ads, I forget what it's called, but it's a tall tree loaded with tomatoes?
It's usually in the back of a magazine. Know the one? Scam or not?

-
 -
by LoreD on October 05, 2006 09:32 AM
I know some people who tried the "tomato tree" and they said that it wasn't actually a tomato but something else and tasted terrible.

They said it was a scam.

LoreD

Its not important what you get to keep in life, its what you get to give away.
by badplanter on October 05, 2006 10:05 AM
Hmmm...that's interesting...
I've never heard of it!

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by johnCT on October 05, 2006 07:38 PM
I have not seen that ad. Most indeterminate plants will turn into a tree if they're given the right growing conditions and correct pruning. Some of my plants this year would have reached 10 feet if they were given taller cages and they weren't even pruned to a central leader. Especially some of the cherry varieties like Black Cherry, Sungold, Matt's Wild Cherry, etc.

John - Zone 6
by loz on October 07, 2006 10:36 PM
My husband had me get on of those the first year we started veggie gardening, I knew it was too good to be true but I ordered it anyway. I mean the claims about the size and poundage of toms. you got was pretty unbelievable.

It ended up being no bigger than my other tom. plants....and the fruit on them was no bigger than my others, and they split easy.

That year he just laughed and said, well at least now I know and won't be wondering what a giant tomato tree is like.... [Big Grin]
by afgreyparrot on October 08, 2006 12:55 AM
My dad got some of those several years ago...same outcome as Loz.
quote:
It ended up being no bigger than my other tom. plants....and the fruit on them was no bigger than my others, and they split easy.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Deborah L. on October 08, 2006 04:04 AM
Yeah, I always thought that it was a scam thing.
Remember, it was an ad in magazines for years?
I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember it from the 70's and 80's.
It was always a cheap looking ad, soft paper and awful graphics. 'Member? [Razz]

-
 -
by art on October 08, 2006 05:37 AM
Deborah L
you asked me for a photo of my avocado tree that had 400 avocados.i didn't have one then but i'm
sending it to you today.
by the way did you ever buy your tree? if so how is it doing?
 -

art
by loz on October 08, 2006 06:25 AM
Yeh when we bought one a few years back the ad was in Carol Wright Gifts I think.....It was my dads book he gets and the picture of the plant wasn't even a real picture, it was a drawing of the plant. [Roll Eyes] I knew it was a scam, but I was just excited Mark was interested in growing toms. [thumb]
by Deborah L. on October 08, 2006 08:30 AM
Loz, that's the one, and the picture was of a man on a ladder so he could reach the HUNDREDS of tomatoes on the HUGE TOMATO TREE.....
What a crock !
Art, thanks ! Wow ! Was that raised from a pit or a sapling tree?
I haven't got my tree yet, still deciding. Hass avocados are $2 down here, are they the same up there?

-
 -
by art on October 12, 2006 08:08 AM
Deborah L,
i bought the tree from a nursery.i paid $80.00
for it,but it was about 4 yrs old.it is now 9 yrs
old. i took a limb from it and grafted it on to a seedling.photo of seedling and fruit below now
3yrs old and about 5 ft tall.fruit is from last year which i just picked 2 weeks ago.this years fruit
should be ready in a month or so.by the way the tree is a Gwen Hass. fruit is a little larger
than regular Hass and rounder,

-
 -

art
by Deborah L. on October 12, 2006 08:33 AM
This is so great, Art.
Did you sell any of the fruit, or just enjoy all that bounty at home?
It must be so terrific to go out and pick all you want !!!
What do you do with all of the pits?

-
 -
by art on October 13, 2006 05:41 AM
Deborah L,
we are a family of 7 children,all married.7 husbands and wives plus brothers and sisters inlaws plus uncles and aunts plus grandchildren and great grand children.shall i go on?
i did start some of the pits but they are being stubborn.so i'll wait and see.i also have some grafts.
by the way,i recommended GrowQuest to you.forget about them.i just got some bad reports on them.

art
by Deborah L. on October 13, 2006 06:42 AM
No need to say more ! LOL ! I can see that the avocados are put to good use and pretty fast too.
What a nice crowd you've got !
OK, I will avoid Grow Quest and thanks for the warning.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: