The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tree roots growing up into my raised beds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tree Question| Next thread: tree roots killing my lawn! »
Back to Thread index
by Oscar on October 01, 2006 11:42 PM
I made 3 raised beds last spring and filled the wooden frames with compost & topsoil. My vegetables did well...until the Silver Maple tree near my garden started growing leaves in the spring. Then the plants seemed stunted. Now, I have tried to turn the soil for the fall garden & discover that the Maple tree roots are growing up into my raised beds! It is a matted root mess. The maple tree is about 50 feet tall and about 20 feet away from my beds. Do I need to cut the tree down? And If the stump is ground, will it kill the problematic root system? Moving the location of my garden is out of the question because I have a sunlight problem in my yard as well.

Oscar
by johnCT on October 02, 2006 08:11 PM
Removing the tree and stump will solve your root problem for sure. Otherwise it will be a unrelenting problem.

John - Zone 6
by Rosepetal on October 04, 2006 05:00 AM
I feel for you Oscar, I have the same problem with a popular tree beside my garden. Some have advised me to roundup the shoots carefully if I want to keep the tree. But I think I'll have to either get rid of the tree or move my garden.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tree Question| Next thread: tree roots killing my lawn! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: