The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

geranium worms/caterpillars

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Geranium trouble| Next thread: geraniums »
Back to Thread index
by flycats on February 15, 2006 11:11 PM
Ok so every year my geraniums look wonderful until late Spring when the dreaded caterpillars come! They bore through the flower buds and I can usually pick them off at night but it's getting OLD. I got some spray specifically for them but it doesn't seem to work. And you can't save it in the spray bottle so who wants to keep making up batches every three days? Any other solutions? I have some NEEM oil, would that work? Stupid caterpillars!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by peppereater on February 15, 2006 11:33 PM
flycats...Neem should work fine. Is the spray you tried THURICIDE? That should be very effective...
Thuricide is Bacillus Thuringiensis (sp.?), a bacterial caterpillar killer. It is the active ingredient in DIPEL DUST, as well. This is very easy to use, and requires no mixing. It should only need to be applied infrequently. [thumb]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by peppereater on February 15, 2006 11:37 PM
By the way, flycats, try and see if any pretty butterflies seem attracted to those geraniums. They may be laying their eggs on your plants, and if so, those "worms" are the young of the butterfly. You might want to put a few geraniums aside for the worms to eat...the butterflies will still visit all of your flowers, but will not be affected by B. T.
It is just as likely that the worms are the larva of moths, though.

-
Dave
by flycats on February 15, 2006 11:40 PM
THANKS! Yes I think it's the tobacco budworm. It's the moth larvae. Dave, yes the spray I have is the bacillus th. I'll try again along with the others. I have some more geraniums I have rooted that I would like to plant eventually, but not if I have this problem! thanks!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by Buglady on February 17, 2006 12:32 PM
I second the Bt spray (aka Dipel) but just so you know we are starting to see resistance to it against some caterpillars.

Also make sure you apply in the evening. the UV sunlight breaks it down.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 11:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Buglady:
I second the Bt spray (aka Dipel) but just so you know we are starting to see resistance to it against some caterpillars.

Also make sure you apply in the evening. the UV sunlight breaks it down.

Buglady...is the resistance thanks to GM corn and the like? I've heard that.
Is the Dipel powder more UV resistant (being a dust)?

-
Dave
by Buglady on February 18, 2006 12:09 AM
not due to Bt corn.... just being over used.

There is still heavy debate over the GMO stuff

Never done a comparison trial on residual between powder and spray. Sorry... just not a big powder fan, gets into lungs to easy.

Also there are several differnt var. of Bt's. Helps to rotate them.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by flycats on March 07, 2006 05:16 AM
cool thanks! I'll start using the BT spray when I see the buggers.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Geranium trouble| Next thread: geraniums »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: