The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sorry! another green tomato question?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Sorrel| Next thread: Sorry about that »
Back to Thread index
by DaisyM on September 28, 2006 07:33 AM
Today, I was forced to pick most of my green tomatos because we have a frost warning again.
Can anyone tell me if a slow ripening process in a cool place indoors
is better than putting them in a warm place to retain the most taste or does it not make any difference? I still left a few on the vine, just incase they don't freeze.
by kennyso on September 28, 2006 07:41 AM
Hi daisy, I didn't hear about the frost warning, but my mom picked all of hers an we just leave them out on the kitchen counter. just outta curosity, whihc part of canada are you form, I'm in Ontario

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by weezie13 on September 28, 2006 07:54 AM
There's some info in the ARCHIVES about green tomatoes and ripening them, if I remember correctly...

I personally like to take a good amount of the plant, with all the tomatoes still attached and then hang in my back room..
But I make sure I leave them on the stem/plant cause they seem to ripen, IMHO, better that way..

See if others come thru and give you some more pointers...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by DaisyM on September 28, 2006 09:20 AM
kennyso, I'm in good ole Winnipeg Manitoba..which part of Ontario are you from?

Weezie, OH No! too late, I picked them without the branches...poor little things are probably in shock...hee hee...
by Dirt 'n Wood on September 29, 2006 07:26 AM
Hello DaisyM

Try rolling the tomatoes in groups of 5 or so in newspaper. Place them in a moderately warm spot in the house and check them weekly. They exude a gas which will help ripen them. I am doing the same and it's working.
by kennyso on September 29, 2006 07:50 AM
I read befoer that you can put unripe fruit inside a paper bag with an apple or banana cuz they release a gas call ethenol or something that starts with an e

Daisy, I'm in Markham ON, bout less than an hour away from downtown

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by penny in ontario on September 29, 2006 08:04 AM
Hi Daisy...another one from Ontario here...and i had to take mine out too, i swaer we had frost about a week ago and after that they looked terrible!

-
 -

-
by DaisyM on September 29, 2006 08:48 AM
Penny, we had a couple of frosts already, but it just blackened the very tips of the tomato plants.
Here we can't plant anything until mid or end of May, a few short months of warm temps and then bam! it's fall time and with it comes worrying about frosts...if only we had 2 months added on to our short growing season then we could be gauranteed a lot of vine ripened tomatos... We were supposed to have -3 for the night, we ended with -1. The few little ones I left behind don't look frozen, but I doubt if they will grow any before the big one hits...oh well, I'm thankful that I ended up with something from my garden...
by weezie13 on September 29, 2006 10:37 AM
DaisyM,
To get a small jump on your growing season next year....
Save your Juice containers... *like Juicy Juice* and cut off the very bottom.. and try plants by seeds.. cover the seeds up with those mini~green house containers.. and take some gallon milk jugs and fill them with water, and put at least 4 around the juice jug...
You'll end up getting a seedling that will sprout when it's time... and be very protected by the juice jug greenhouse and a little bit of warmth protection with the water jugs...

It can give you the jump on the season...
*and those tomato seeds won't sprout until it's time.. they're pretty hardy fellows...

Worth a try..
I love a good experiment....

[critic] [teacher] [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by DaisyM on September 29, 2006 12:03 PM
Thanks Weezie...a different version worth trying...
by Deborah L. on September 29, 2006 01:20 PM
Daisy, do you plant the short-season varieties that are in the catalogs?
If so, how do they rate?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sorrel| Next thread: Sorry about that »
Back to Thread index