The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting New Garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Starting Maple Tree from Seed| Next thread: Starting new grafts? »
Back to Thread index
by roosterboy on September 25, 2006 08:09 AM
hi i am starting a new garden i want to make enough food to last me through the winter as well so i want to preserve my vegetables that i grow.

i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how many plants i will need for a family of 2 like tomatoes how many do they make per plant.?

also potato's how much room do i need to grow a years worth. i know it's tough to answer but if someone can just give me an idea of how much each plant can produce ill get an idea of how many would be plenty for me to plant

thanks
Jason
by comfrey on September 25, 2006 08:47 AM
An answer to your questions is not that simple. About tomatoes, it all depends upon what variety you plan to grow...According to my canning book:

50 tomato plants, planted in a 100' row will produce 380 pounds of tomatoes. This would yield 60 quarts of tomatoes (120 pounds) & 120 quarts (240 pounds) of tomato juice. Which it says would feed a family of 6 persons. But of course, each veggie would depend upon what a family likes or dislikes and all amounts would have to be adjusted up or down.

-
 -
by SNOWWOLF on September 25, 2006 09:59 AM
Even growing conditions from year to year can effect the outcome of crops. Pests,bad weather and unexpected molds/mildews/fungi can change the production for many crop plants. Best bet is to pick what you know you like, try them and hope for the best.
by johnCT on September 25, 2006 07:39 PM
Welcome Jason. I actually don't live that far from you. One piece of advice I can give you is to make the garden much bigger than you think you'll need so you have room to expand which will undoubtedly happen in the years to come. Above all else though, work on the SOIL first and foremost.

John - Zone 6
by gizmo123 on September 26, 2006 03:05 AM
Has anybody got any recommendation on where to buy fruit and vegetable plants for planting next spring please?
by CajunMama on September 26, 2006 09:35 AM
roosterboy,
Like everyone else has been mentioning, it's hard to give exact amounts, but as far as potatoes go, (and, again, depending on what type you plant) each plant will usually produce about 6-12 potatoes. I've always grown the New Red Potatoes, and most of the plants give me about 6-12, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Good luck

Gizmo,
If you're wanting to buy plants (or even seeds) I usually go to my local Lowe's or Home Depot to pick up my tomato and pepper plants. They have decent plants.

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Starting Maple Tree from Seed| Next thread: Starting new grafts? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: