The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato seedlings

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by amy7467 on September 25, 2006 05:43 AM
I just found tomato seedlings growing from a cherry tomato that I had thrown in the compost. (I guess my compost is better than I thought!) Anyway, is there any chance of them maturing? If I put them in a container and continue them indoors when the weather turns?
by badplanter on September 25, 2006 06:24 AM
i found the same thing last week! i just left it in there, but i'm going to move it when absolutely neccessary. I'm going to try to keep it indoors, but some people say it will be fine, and others say it will die. I don't know what to think!
I'll just have to hope for the best...

Good luck to ya'! [thumb]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by johnCT on September 25, 2006 06:34 AM
I always have volunteers coming up everywhere. Kinda neat, but if the seedling is from seed from a hybrid cherry tomato plant, then the chance of the fruit resembling it's parent are very slim and most times they taste terrible. Also, trying to grow tomato plants indoors, especially indeterminate types, which this seedling will most likely be, is very difficult and probably not worth the trouble. They need a great deal of light and a windowsill will not provide that. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Amy, but it can't hurt to go ahead and try just for the experience. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by amy7467 on September 25, 2006 06:39 AM
Bummer... [Frown]
by weezie13 on September 25, 2006 11:36 PM
I agree with John, it's not impossible, cause I've had one or two members who grow stuff inside, but it takes alot of effort...
Depends on what you want to put into it...
I encourage experimenting.. but be forwarned like John said..
There are two gardener's here, *they haven't been here in a bit, but if you do a SEARCH on "Noneofyourbusiness" and "endoftheworld"
They both garden indoors, and something they've posted mayyyyyyyy help...
but if you do, please let us know how it turns out, we love updates...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on September 25, 2006 11:52 PM
Also Amy, there are certain varieties like 'Micro Tom' or 'Hahms Gelbe Topftomate' that only grow to 6-8" tall that may be better to experiment with. I will be growing HGT next year for the first time.

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on October 01, 2006 03:18 AM
Just wanted to remind everybody that tomato leaves and stems are badly toxic to pets.
But I hope you do have success with the indoor tomatoes.
I agree-give it a shot ! [clappy] [kitty]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 01, 2006 03:21 AM
John, next year I'm going to try Micro Tom as a conversation patio piece and Riesentraube-the one that makes zillions of teeny tomatoes.
I LOVE to take my sea salt outside and snack on warm little tomatoes.

-
 -
by weezie13 on October 01, 2006 03:59 AM
quote:
I LOVE to take my sea salt outside and snack on warm little tomatoes.

There IS nothing better... [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on October 01, 2006 04:07 AM
I have tiny tim tomatoes growing inside this year. I have my fingers crossed.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 01, 2006 05:03 AM
TK's gonna take her salt shaker into the bathroom ! [Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: