The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What do you plan to do next year?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 2 1
by Bamboo on September 21, 2006 01:54 AM
This is a question for everyone! What would you do differently next year, eg. would you sow/not sow certain seeds, or use different techniques etc. I guess the phrase I use most (when it comes to gardening!) is 'there's always next year'. So, what will you change? [Wink]
by DaisyM on September 21, 2006 02:14 AM
This past spring I bought flower seed packets because they looked so lovely on the pack. I planted different seeds in 3 places and never again. They didn't grow, and the ones that did were ugly and spindly. I think I'll stick to the greenhouse bedding plants...atleast I'm reassured I will have something out of them.
Also I've learned to plant more than one variety of tomato plants. Some years one variety will grow better than others. On some years the variety that had a nice harvest the year before failed to produce anything at all in the next year..
by SNOWWOLF on September 21, 2006 02:42 AM
I plan to try out Square Foot Gardening next year. Got a book on it this week and think its a cool idea. Gonna try melons again and see if growing them vertically really does work as well as the book says [Smile] Think I will add some veggies and flowers as well, since Im in central florida I have the option of growing something thru the whole year.
by comfrey on September 21, 2006 03:20 AM
For me..I am going to try gardening by the moon signs and also make a pact with myself [gabby] to not allow the garden to be over run with weeds and put the mulch down right away where needed. I also am going to try a different type of watermelon, I finally found the perfect cantaloupe [Big Grin] Now to find the perfect watermelon. Another thing I plan to do is to pay closer attention to the squash before the bugs can destroy all of it.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on September 21, 2006 03:24 AM
This is a really great topic, Bamboo ! Good idea !
I have learned NOT to cave in to temptation and buy tomato plants too early.
This past spring I had a 3 foot Celebrity in a large pot, and had to baby it all through the long, chilly spring.
Next spring I'll be strong !

-
 -
by Bamboo on September 21, 2006 04:38 AM
Thanks Deborah!
Next year I'm going to try and grow butternut squash. Then I'll make some lovely soup with my mum! [angel]
by myndful on September 21, 2006 05:44 AM
This is an awesome topic! Don't be surprised if I steal some ideas... [grin]

For myself, we're going to have a real fence around the gardens, instead of the chicken wire. We're also going to have TWICE the size! (poor puppies are losing some running room, but oh well...)

I'm also going to have the vine-y things on trellises And we're (maybe) going to get another freezer so we can SAVE some of our veggies for winter.

Now...gimme gimme gimme...some ideas! [angel]

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by Deborah L. on September 21, 2006 07:08 AM
YUM, butternut soup - mint garnish, I hope? [wavey]

-
 -
by Bestofour on September 21, 2006 08:09 AM
comfrey, there used to be someone on the board that posted all sorts of stuff about gardening with the moon. I don't know what ever happened to her but it was really neat.

My plan is to get the weeds out in advance next season. I'm going to cover the areas with leaves when they fall and keep piling on leaves so everything will be smothered out. Then I can pull back the top, work the bottom leaves into the soil before planting, then replace the pulled back leaves.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by comfrey on September 21, 2006 09:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Next spring I'll be strong !
Ok..Deborah, I'm going to remeber you said this. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Good Luck!

-
 -
by Deborah L. on September 21, 2006 11:36 AM
LOL, Comfrey ! [wavey] [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]

-
 -
by MrClint on September 21, 2006 01:04 PM
I'm looking into growing at least a few self-sowing crops and herbs. Why not take advantage of desirable plants that have a "weedy" nature? I think this is a great plan that will work well with my sq ft garden. What can be easier than self-sowing combined with no till, and no weeding?

I've already started with bunching onions and have dedicated ample space for them. Since my onions made it through the 100* plus weather this year, and even transplanted well, I'm certain I can keep them going year round.

I'm looking for other candidate crops as well.

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by DanielNewman007 on September 21, 2006 04:19 PM
I'm also going to start Square Foot Gardening, assuming I can get my conifer 'hedge' removed. I plan to have a 4x6 foot box, and I've already got planned:

4 early potato plants;
4 cauliflower plants;
4 savoy cabbages;
9 beetroot;
32 onions;
4 iceberg lettuces;
1 courgette (zucchini)
3 tomatoes;
8 marigolds;
16 pea plants;
2 sweet peppers;

And there's still some room in summer/ fall, so might have something else too.

Not bad for 24 square feet.
by SNOWWOLF on September 22, 2006 07:08 AM
Cool, loads of new suggestions since I last looked at this topic. Might give some of the newer ideas a shot.
by badplanter on September 22, 2006 08:19 AM
I'm planning to level my entire garden...which is on a pretty annoying slope(I'll try to get pics to post a topic in the landscaping forum when I start). Maybe 10' by 10', but not exactly sure. Doing this will keep everything from toppling over on each other. It'll also be easier to manuver-right now everything is being held up by support strings tied to trees [lala]

I'm growing:
eggplant
cucumbers
celery
lettuce
carrots
tomatoes
radishes
a few herbs (basil, oregano, etc)
And I don't even know what else!

I also plan to put my tomato cages deeper into the ground-they seem to 'rise' over time!
I also want to start planting a little earlier...this year i didn't start until mid-June or so!
Well, I have a lot planned for next year!

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by johnCT on September 22, 2006 08:50 AM
Need more space...

[nutz]

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on September 23, 2006 07:23 AM
LOL John,

Come over some time and see what happens when you DO get more space!! I'm telling you, my garden was way successful and with my boyfriend working 2 jobs now, it's all I can do to try to keep up with the canning, the drying, the freezing, the blending..not to mention the tending, the weeding, the tying. The priests at my church are going to start running from me because I keep pushing eggplants, basil, tomatoes, plums, pears, and beans on them. At some point, you have to say, ok..this is as much as I can do. I've reached that pinnacle and surpassed it!

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by CajunMama on September 23, 2006 07:33 AM
I think I'm going to try a lot of these suggestions!

I've considered the SFG idea, but I just can't bring myself to it just yet. "Maybe the next year**". LOL

Next year I'm going to try planting a variety of tomato plants like DaisyM mentioned.

I think I'm going to continue growing my cucumbers vertically - that was a great space saver FYI.

I'm going to plant:
cucumbers
variety of tomatoes
potatoes
leaf lettuce
banana peppers
squash
and are you ready for this one...I'm going to try eggplant!

I've never done egg plants before, but my Meme and Papa have HUGE egg plants, and I think I'm going to try it next year.

Oh, yeah, I'm also going to find an ALMANAC! My dad used to always plant his fields with the almanac, and sure enough, it worked every year, so I'm going to plant my garden and flowers (and go fishing [tongue] ) by the guidance of the almanac [thumb] .....if I can find one. Now taking suggestions as to where to pick one up. [Smile] I haven't seen one in ???years???

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11
by CajunMama on September 23, 2006 07:36 AM
Oh, I forgot one thing!

I'm going to use TOMATO CAGES!!!!!! and not those silly (insert curse-dirty-word) sticks that we have to continually tie the darn boogers to every time we're in the garden.

That's all for now...Have a great harvest! [angel]

-
CajunMama
by Deborah L. on September 23, 2006 07:43 AM
CajunMama,
You can use the online Farmer's Almanac.
I love the names "Meme and Papa" - so charming.
French?

-
 -
by comfrey on September 24, 2006 07:49 AM
I have 4 foot tall tomato cages, but I also have at least 2 stakes on the outsides of the cages, one to hold them steady and keep them from blowing over, and also so if I do need to tie up a huge tomato stem, I have something sturdy to tie to. I don't have enough tomato cages, so the odd tomato plants left get three stakes put around them, when these are fist put in I run at least three different heights (rows) of ties around them to hold the tomato plants up off the ground, The best thing I have found for making tomato ties is old tee shirts, if you start at the bottom and make a cut, you can tear the shirt and make really long pieces of tie material, plus they stretch nicely and tie good, and then you can just cut them and throw away at the end of the season.

-
 -
by CajunMama on September 24, 2006 10:28 AM
Is the online Farmer's Almanac a link from this site? and if so, where do I look for it?

quote:
I love the names "Meme and Papa" - so charming.
French?

Thanx! [Embarrassed] And, No, they're not french, I grew up in S. Texas, and my Meme said she was too young to be a grandmother when she started getting grandkids, so we called her Meme, (and sometimes Memaw to rhyme with Papa), and Papa has always been Papa. ("PawPaw" in a deep, south Texas drawl.) [grin]

-
CajunMama
by Deborah L. on September 24, 2006 10:53 AM
CajunMama, I found the Farmer's Almanac just by Googling the title.
I don't know how to add a link, or else I'd do it here for you.
Let me know if you find it.
I love your signature !

-
 -
by Bestofour on September 24, 2006 10:58 PM
CajuMama, I'm going to continue to grow the cukes vertical. It works well and seems to keep any bugs off them.

I too, will somehow secure my tomato cages this time. I've never had such a time with them blowing over. We must have had much more wind this year. I've used the same cages for a long time but this year it was a daily thing to have to upright them.

And, I've decided not to plant okra. I love okra but for some reason in this garden I don't get enough to eat at one cutting so I try to save it and it's just not worth the trouble.

The leaves are starting to fall already.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Tonya on September 24, 2006 11:56 PM
Next year I get to have a garden!! This year I only had tomatoes and basil. I am soon to move to a new house and there I will have a quarter acre(give or take) to use as garden. I am going to have(good lord willing, and I can find a tiller...)

Tomatoes(several plants and several varieties)
Potatoes
Peppers (green, red, banana, jalepeno)
Cucumbers
Beans(pole)
Corn
Lettuce
Spinach
Onion
Radish
Carrots
Herbs(assorted)

That is a start, anyway...I want so badly to do everything, but seeing as how this is my first garden in many years...I am trying to stay small....so far...I just keep thinking of more and more things I need to add! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm sure I will have TONS of questions for you all soon!! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by badplanter on September 25, 2006 12:06 AM
quote:
Potatoes

since you mentioned it....how DO you grow potatoes?

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Tonya on September 25, 2006 12:34 AM
We always took potatoes and cut them up so that each piece had an "eye" on it and planted that. Once the plant started dying off...dig up your 'taters.

Someone told me they grew them in old tires. They planted the tater and kept adding dirt and tires(going up) and when they were ready to harvest, they just knocked the tires down...no digging!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by badplanter on September 25, 2006 12:55 AM
thanks Tonya!!
i might have to try them next year! (not in tires though [Big Grin] )

-
 -
by comfrey on September 25, 2006 03:38 AM
One thing on the growing potatoes...when you cut them into pieces, be sure to let them heal/dry good where they are cut to help prevent rot etc. Some people also cover the pototaoe pieces in sulfur to prevent disease and bug problems.

-
 -
by badplanter on September 25, 2006 03:45 AM
Thanks Comfrey--thats good to know! [thumb]

Just one more question--how long do they take to mature? When can I/do I plan them?

well, thats 2 questions, but anyway... [lala]

thanks again!

-
 -
by comfrey on September 25, 2006 08:11 AM
Well they are planted alot earlier then anything else...Around here by Saint Patrick's day is good, not sure if it would be the same for your area or not Mark, but it will be before your last frost date. Depending on what kind of potatoes you plant..maturity takes about 95 days.

-
 -
by badplanter on September 25, 2006 08:42 AM
again, thank you so much!!
I'll probably start them around April 1st.

[kissies] [thumb] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by SNOWWOLF on September 25, 2006 10:06 AM
There is a website that provides what they call "potatoes in a bag" its the potatoe pieces in a bag(like potting soil or mulch) that you simply slit open and water, the plants grow and when they wither you open the bag fully to collect your taters. Havent tried them myself but friends have and say that its a tidy easy way to grow them wvwn if you lack a lot of room. [Smile] The plants themselves are quite pretty too and add interest to a balcony or patio!
by tkhooper on September 25, 2006 10:11 PM
I will definitely be growing in containers next year and I've never done it before. Currently I have:

Peppermint
Pineapplemint
Oregano
Tyme
Cinnamon Basil
Par-cel
Tiny Tim tomato

They are all growing indoors and seem to be doing fine the mints are alittle leggy but that's the most problem I've had so far.

Next year if space permits I would like to get the chemical Bill mentions in the "growing seeds" fact sheet for stopping damp off disease and using it on my lettuce seeds. That way I should be able to have lettuce indoors almost all year round. That would be super because I love salads.

I would also like to plant my spinach seeds the same way.

I will also do a pot of chives, green onions, radishes. And I will take some cuttings from my tiny tim so that I have several more plants than the one I currently have. But I only have one shoplight that handles two bulbs so unless I have plenty of windows where I go I will have to decrease what I want to keep by quite a few.

-
 -
by SNOWWOLF on September 26, 2006 07:00 AM
I wonder if growing them in an old plastic container i have would work, Maybe covering them with hay or straw as they grow larger so the taters are kept covered. What do you guys think?
by CajunMama on September 26, 2006 09:27 AM
DeborahL
Thanks for the suggestion....I don't know why I didn't think of doing it all by myself. I've just been having one of those months, I guess.

I did find the website, it is here for anyone wishing to use it The Old Farmer's Alamanac

Happy gardening! [clappy] [tongue] [clappy] [gabby] [clappy]

-
CajunMama
by Deborah L. on September 26, 2006 12:04 PM
Great, CajunMama !
It's neat, isn't it?
Nice of you to post it for everyone.

-
 -
by johnCT on September 26, 2006 08:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:

Next year if space permits I would like to get the chemical Bill mentions in the "growing seeds" fact sheet for stopping damp off disease and using it on my lettuce seeds. That way I should be able to have lettuce indoors almost all year round. That would be super because I love salads.

TK, damping off usually cannot be prevented with chemicals. It is easily prevented however, with proper seed starting procedures. Most importantly...clean pots and soiless seed starting mix.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on September 26, 2006 09:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bamboo:
Thanks Deborah!
Next year I'm going to try and grow butternut squash. Then I'll make some lovely soup with my mum! [angel]

That's about the only thing in my garden this year that was prolific...got a bunch..
Planted them for my Father~in~law, he loves them.

quote:
Originally posted by Bestofour:
comfrey, there used to be someone on the board that posted all sorts of stuff about gardening with the moon. I don't know what ever happened to her but it was really neat.

HANDBRIGHT... I think she was in Fla?
*originally from NY*
Somebody PM her and get her back on board..
I enjoyed her thread too!
(I have to tackle my PM area, and delete some)

quote:
Originally posted by myndful:
For myself, we're going to have a real fence around the gardens, instead of the chicken wire.
May I ask what happened to the chicken wire?
And what are you getting?
Very Curious?

quote:
Originally posted by Bestofour:
And, I've decided not to plant okra. I love okra but for some reason in this garden I don't get enough to eat at one cutting so I try to save it and it's just not worth the trouble.

Sheri,
Okra is a veryyyy heavy feeder...
Do you fertilize alot, and with extra compost?

quote:
Originally posted by Tonya:
Next year I get to have a garden!!

I want so badly to do everything, but seeing as how this is my first garden in many years...I am trying to stay small....so far...I just keep thinking of more and more things I need to add!

Tonya, stick with that plan, not to over do it..
Really... and do you soil first, get it worked up NOW *or as soon as possible*, so it's ready to plant in spring... that takes time to ammend the soil and get it right the first time..
so much depends on it..

quote:
Originally posted by SNOWWOLF:
I wonder if growing them in an old plastic container i have would work, Maybe covering them with hay or straw as they grow larger so the taters are kept covered. What do you guys think?
If you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in POTATOES, there should be something, about how to plant them and about covering and layering hay...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on September 26, 2006 09:32 PM
I am [Frown] not planting a garden next year if I
still have Woodchucks... [shocked]
They have been the [devil] bane [Mad] of my existance this year.. [Razz]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by badplanter on September 27, 2006 09:15 AM
quote:
still have Woodchucks
I had squrrils, and raccoons...if you remember my mad attempt to get rid of them over the summer! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

hopefully, they won't come back!

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 27, 2006 09:40 AM
Yeah, but did those rodents eat EVERYTHING in your garden???????/ [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
If I planted 20 types of plants/vegetables,
I harvested about 5... [Razz] [Frown] [Mad] [Eek!]

But I do know any kind of pest that takes the fun out of gardening, isn't fun...
So, I know your pain..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on September 27, 2006 09:52 AM
I gave up 4 years ago and now buy animal foods, species appropriate. Sigh............
But the wildlife brats don't "prune" for me anymore !

-
 -
by comfrey on September 27, 2006 09:53 AM
Weezie...You need to find a live trap and trap that woodchuck, they usually live in pairs (male & female) and since you provided them with a good food source, they probable were able to raise a baby or two. Do you live in a rural area or town/city? If you live in a town the city might trap it for you, if you are rural then you could contact fish and game and they might help you with your problem. I had one last year that caused me alot of grief, but it got ran over on the dirt road, so no more groundhog problem. Turtles gave me grief this season, so I will be turtle proofing the bottom of my fence before spring.

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 27, 2006 10:16 AM
We used a live trap once..
We caught one.. and then my husband and f~i~l went to pick it up and relocate it.. well, when f~i~l picked it up, the rodent lurched forward *and this guy/girl was a tub filled up from my garden bounty* well, the latch wasn't latched right and as it lurched forward, it came out..

Well, that rodent must have told every other woodchuck here and not one went back in that thing, nooooooo matter what I put in it..

Although, I came out my back door one day, and one was sitting on top of it, *surveying the property to find where the good crop was today* and two more were munching at the base of it, like waiting for the "lunch report"

quote:
they usually live in pairs (male & female) and since you provided them with a good food source, they probable were able to raise a baby or two.
TRY 5... [shocked] [Razz]
one died, it went up into my motor in my van to keep warm I guess one night and when we started the car, it got caught and we lost our fan belt.
I have pictures of some of them, on my front porch/steps.. but haven't gotten to them into PB yet..

quote:
Do you live in a rural area or town/city?
We live in a small country town... but NO shooting in town though...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on September 27, 2006 11:05 AM
I would still contact the city and also fish and game and see if one or the other could help with your problem.

-
 -
by myndful on September 27, 2006 06:58 PM
Weezie, I just saw your question...

The short answer is, a tree fell on the chicken wire fence. It leans terribly now.
 -
It's kinda dark right now, but I think you can see the "lean" in this pic...

The long answer is, the fence was thrown up in a day using deck pickets, the chicken wire and staples...the wire isn't sunk into the ground, so the dogs can lift it up and get into the garden. The fence is REALLY not sturdy, and just looks awful!

Next year, we'll be working on making the back yard into a place we can ALL enjoy. Rob wants an outdoor dining room, and I want a bigger garden. Sooooo, we're going to fence in the front third of the back yard, in two sections with a path between for access to the back. We'll be using the vinyl picket fencing to make it more decorative.

I'm not sure if this pic is big enough to really show the plans, but this is what we came up with:
 -
The scale is a little bit off, but it's enough to get the general idea.

The big white square is a huge garage that he won't let me knock down. Behind the garage is the fruit garden, to the right of that is the compost. That section of yard is bigger than the plan says. Middle-right yard, across from the garage, is an enormous white oak or swamp oak, not sure exactly which.

In the future: The front-right is a low deck with table and grill, surrounded by flowers. The left is going to be the larger garden, with a table in the middle of the old driveway - the better for me to work out there. (as opposed to doing my garden projects on the kitchen counter or dining room table...)

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by elkwc36 on September 29, 2006 10:20 AM
My Mom has planted by the moon all my life. I do it some and believe in it. Just sometimes have to plant when I have time and not when the moon says. My plans for next year is to try more OP tomato varieties. Plan on saving seeds from some of the OP's. I mulched heavy this year with good results so will continue that. May not plant any cabbage due to insect problems. No major changes here as I had a good year overall. JD
by Deborah L. on October 12, 2006 04:06 AM
I'm going to try that pretty squash, Sunburst, the bright yellow patty pan/scallop with a green blossom end. That's a pretty one.
Also plan to plant my first Brandywine, and cardoons. I've always thought they look interesting.

-
 -
by DeeLuzon on October 12, 2006 11:36 PM
Deborah,

i grew the Sunburst squash this year and, though pretty, it's absolutely tasteless... the only use to which i could put it was to stretch my grated zucchinis for fritter-making (i've frozen quite a few packages of pre-grated squash for winter fritters & zuke bread), but even then, i had to keep the proportion of Sunburst to a minimum for fear of rendering the batch... crummy. So, if it's for appearance sake, fine; if it's for food... i don't think it's worth the space.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: