The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Spaghetti squash seed questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: spaghetti squash| Next thread: Spanakolpetes »
Back to Thread index
by roflol on September 20, 2006 07:28 AM
Bought a spaghetti squash at local stand and was fixing it for supper tonight, and about half the seeds within had sprouted, got me to thinking about saving the rest for swapping and even planting next year (remains to be seen whether the squash itself still tastes good). I've separated out the ones that didn't open at all.

So now what? Let them dry without rinsing the protective slime layer, I'm presuming. What kind of growing conditions do these things like? What color blooms?

We tried 4 pumpkin plants (4 seeds, not 4 types) this year and got lots of blooms but not a single pumpkin, not sure what happened, not too many bugs (maybe not enough bees for pollination?).

Thanks in advance for any advise/suggestions.
by weezie13 on September 20, 2006 07:55 AM
For any of my squashes *Spaghetti squash, acorn or whatever*
I pull them out and seperate the stringy stuff
that holds in the seeds... and put all of the seeds on a plate.. either a paper plate or a plate with a bunch of paper napkins on them...
and I turn them every day...
So, one side doesn't dry uneven or stick to the paper towel/plate...

Then after a while, you'll be able to tell when they are really dry and I put them in a white mailing envelope...
and LABEL THEM...*(so, I dont' forget what they are)*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by myndful on September 20, 2006 06:45 PM
Roflol, any squash-y kind of growing conditions are fine for sketti squash.

This spring, I had the same thing happen with sprouted seeds. I just buried them in the middle of the garden and forgot about them...a couple weeks later, went back out there and viola!!

They were beautiful until the squash bugs found them, then I had to pull them out. [Frown] Yellowish-orangy flowers.

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by roflol on September 21, 2006 06:58 AM
Thanks for the info, myndful and weezie. I found a pic of the blossom on dave's garden, looks just like the pumpkin blossoms, lol.

We'll build a long raised bed along a south-facing fence for next year for our vining things and see if we can't get something more productive to happen this time (prior bed was next to the back door sheltered by picket fence, maybe the bees didn't know it was there)... we can hope, anyway.

Got tons of seeds from the spaghetti squash - yay, something for swapping!
[thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: spaghetti squash| Next thread: Spanakolpetes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: