The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

White fly

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Yann on January 29, 2006 06:40 AM
I am a novice but have been asked by a small church to help. 1 large hibiscus and 1 large Jasmine are infested (no exaggeration) with white fly.

I pruned them severely to limit the number of leaves and sprayed the under side of the leaves with a hard water spray -soap could not be put in this indoor sprayer. I then covered them with oversize clear garbage bags as they are in a foyer and subject to drafts. This is in Toronto and the middle of winter. Later they will be moved to a more protected place.

I plan to spray again in a few weeks but have heard that putting moth balls on the plants, which are in the bags. will kill the adults and new borns.

Have also heard that putting vapona strips inside the bags is effective.

Does anyone have experience with these possible solutions who can comment on there use.

Thanks
by weezie13 on February 10, 2006 04:40 AM
Hello Jann,
Welcome to The Garden Helpers' Forum..
We are very glad you found us....

I just wanted to let you know I was going to
move your post into the PLANT PEST SECTION...
I think you'll get a few more responses to your question in there better...

And don't forget to take a peak around...
There's lot's to do here, thru every season,
especially thru those long cold winters..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by papito on February 10, 2006 07:08 AM
Info on whiteflies treatments from North Dakota State University and University of California.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/landscap/pp744w.htm

quote:
Control of mites, mealybugs, whiteflies, scales and aphids can be a problem indoors because of the difficulty in applying insecticides to the target area. For treating smaller plants, place them in a 20 to 30 gallon tightly closed plastic bag for 12 to 24 hours with a no-pest-strip insecticide. Repeat at weekly intervals for about three treatments and then repeat at intervals of a month or two. The active ingredient in the no-pest-strip, vapona, can be quite toxic, so be sure to read all label precautions before using. It is difficult to attain a complete eradication. Do not treat velvet plants (Gynura), Boston ferns and their varieties, zebra plants (Aphelandra) and Peperomias because of possible injury.
The following info is from "Pests of the Garden and Small Farm, University of California by Mary Louise Flint.

quote:
Hand removal of leaves heavily infested may reduce the whiteflies population. Insecticidal soap is effective against whiteflies when properly applied. Be sure to cover undersides of all infested leaves; usually these are the lowest leaves and the most difficult to reach. Use soap when the temperatures are cool to prevent possible damage to the plant. Use of other pesticides to control whiteflies should be avoided. Not only do most of these kill natural enemies, whiteflies quickly build up resistance to them and most are not effective. A small, handheld battery operated vacuum cleaner has also been recommended for vacuuming adults off leaves or stickly traps. Vacuuming must be done in the early morning or other times when it is cool and whiteflies are sluggish. Kill vacuumed insects by placing the vacuum bag in a plastic bag and freezing it overnight. Contents may be dumped the next day. Aluminum foil mulches or silver painted clear plastic mulches will repel whiteflies, especially away from small plants. Sticky traps either purchased [sticky substrates such as Stickem or Tanglefoot] or handmade can also be used to control whiteflies. Place the traps with the sticky side facing the plant. You can make your own adhesive trap from one part petroleum jelly or mineral oil and one part household detergent. These materials can be cleaned off boards easily with soap and water, whereas commercial solvent must be used to remove the other adhesives.
Check also the site below in the use of herbs.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/18/156.html

I haven't tried "Mothballs".

Welcome to The Gardener's Forum.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Ironside on February 11, 2006 04:58 AM
Whiteflies, spider mites, and many other insects can be controled with Pyola inscet spray. It is derived from plants, canola oil. You can find it at this website, http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8101

Once on the website, it tells you all of the insects it controls, scroll down to the bottom of the page. it is safe, non-toxic. Can be used on vegetables also.

Ironside
by Yann on February 14, 2006 02:44 AM
Thanks for the reponses.

I have pruned and sprayed with only water and am amazed at the effectiveness. After 2 weeks there are no adults on one and only a few on the other 2. I plan to keep water spraying 2 more times to see if that deals with the egg cycle and cures the plants completely before trying other remedies.

Several other plants have brown scale and systemic sprays are "outlawed" here so as an experiment I've put a clear plastic bag around a palm and hung a Vapona strip inside on the theory that scale still have to breathe.
by weezie13 on February 14, 2006 02:50 AM
Yann,
Keep us posted on how all the plants are doing,
okay???
We [Cool] love [Love] to hear [gabby] updates [critic] good or [angel] bad [devil] that's how we all learn... [teacher]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by flycats on February 16, 2006 01:41 AM
I have the same problem on my abutilon. I got some NEEM oil and it works great! It takes some commitment though. You have to spray every 3-7 days and you have to soak underneath the leaves. It's the only treatment that has a residual repellant on it. Start treating now before the eggs hatch on the back of the leaves! I've only treated twice and I get no "white fly flurry" when I shake the plant anymore! thanks

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: