The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomatoes - Raised Bed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by patches1414 on September 01, 2006 09:49 PM
Okay, I've got the next four days off so I would like to get started on building a raised bed and getting the soil ammended and ready for planting my tomatoes next spring! [Wink] I'm planning on using landscaping timbers and was wondering how tall I should make it. [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on September 02, 2006 12:32 AM
What size are the landscape timbers? My beds are 12" deep. They are made with two 6" pieces of material. IMO if you can't make the beds at least 8-10" deep, then its not even worth it to use raised beds at all. When I run out of the composite material my neighbor gave me, I'll most likely use 2x10's to make addt'l beds with.

John - Zone 6
by Jonnie on September 02, 2006 02:10 AM
So do you fill in the beds with like compost, or what?

Jonnie
 -
by patches1414 on September 02, 2006 05:31 PM
John, they're to normal ones you see at Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. I guess they are about 2"x4" and have the rounded edges!

quote:
IMO if you can't make the beds at least 8-10" deep, then its not even worth it to use raised beds at all.
Why do you say that, John? [dunno] I really didn't think they would need to be that high! [Roll Eyes]

Jonnie, I've already tilled up the soil and I'll be amending it throughout the winter as weather permits. [Roll Eyes] Hopefully, it will be ready and waiting for my tomato plants next spring! [Wink] At that time, I will be adding add the compost and dried manure and work that in before planting! [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: