The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New member says "Hi"

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Dirt 'n Wood on August 31, 2006 06:20 PM
Hello to all. I have been lurking on this site for the last couple of months and have decided to come out of the lurking closet. I do check out several other gardening forums and this one is is the best IMHO.

A bit about me. I'm a semi-retired fellow who has a passion for custom built furniture and vegetable gardening. I grew vegtables in my back yard about 15 years ago and after 2 years, I gave it up. Although my gardens produced beautifully, it seemed that most of my family had a dislike for anything that grows in the soil. Oh well! Now I'm back at it and love it more than before.

I built 6 - 4' x 8' raised beds and filled them with a combination of dirt (clay soil here), composted steer manure and planting compost. My results have been great. We have harvested tomatoes, pickling cukes, lemon cukes, zucchini, cilantro, broccoli, onions, radishes, peppers - both bell and jalipeno, string beans, spinach and mammoth sunflowers.

Still to come this fall is kohlrabi, lettuce, sugar peas, cauliflower, heading cabbage, brussels sprouts and carrots. I have just planted my Walla Walla onions and garlic to overwinter. Next year I plan to add strawberries, potatoes and watermellon to my lineup.

Well enough about me. Just want to say that I hope I can be as helpful to others as they are to me.

Proud to have dirty fingernails

Dirt n' Wood
by Tonya on August 31, 2006 10:06 PM
 -

And welcome to GH!!! Sounds like you are having a great time and have a wonderful harvest going! Would LOVE to see some pics! [Smile]

What is kohlrabi? I am sure I have seen/heard of it before, but cannot remember!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by elkwc36 on September 01, 2006 12:24 AM
Welcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. The best on the internet in my opinion. Hope you have a great experience here. JD
by Deborah L. on September 01, 2006 10:45 AM
This is a great site and the forum rocks !
Your harvest sounds great, it really does.
Nice to meet you ! [wavey]

-
 -
by comfrey on September 01, 2006 12:37 PM
Dirty Fingernails is a good sign. Welcome to forum!!!!

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 01, 2006 09:42 PM
 -

Hi Dirt n' Wood! [wavey]

Welcome to the forum! [Smile] It's so nice to meet you! [Wink] It sounds like you have a great garden growing there and I love adding kohlrabi to my home-made beef vegetable soup! [Love] It gives it an extra zing! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: