The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

how do you grow seedless watermelons?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by kennyso on August 29, 2006 03:34 PM
If the watermelons that a farmer grows is seedless, then how will he have seeds to grow next year? how can there be seedless watermelon seeds if you cannot collect seeds from that variety of watermelon?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by Deborah L. on August 29, 2006 04:39 PM
Talk about a good question !!!
I've never thought of that, Kennyso.
Hmmmmmm.... maybe the seedless type really means that there are a few seeds?
Not actually without any seeds?

-
 -
by PAR_Gardener on August 29, 2006 05:09 PM
[teacher] Seedless watermelons are cross breeds better know as hybrids. Just like the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse, the mule is almost always sterile. Mule Reference

The seeds for seedless watermelons are bred in a similar fashion. The pollen from one particular variety is used to fertilize the stamen of a different variety. The resulting seed will produce fruit, but will be sterile.

A more scientific explanation is provided by wikipedia "Oddly enough, seedless watermelons are grown from seeds. These seeds are produced by crossing diploid and tetraploid lines of watermelon, with the resulting seeds producing sterile triploid plants. Fruit development is triggered by pollination and these plants must be grown alongside a diploid strain to provide pollen."

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by badplanter on August 29, 2006 05:10 PM
Hello!
I found this for ya:
http://www.walterreeves.com/food_gardening/article.phtml?cat=1&id=608

Hope it helps/works! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by kennyso on August 30, 2006 02:00 AM
Thanks for your replies...I've always wondered but never got around to asking!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by MrClint on September 05, 2006 07:28 AM
That's my plan for next year. I'm going to scatter some seedless melon plants in with Sugar Babys.

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: